Alpine cant mount smb share with 'netmount' enabled on boot

Monish

Oct 13, 2023
I'm facing an issue with my Proxmox setup, specifically regarding automounting an SMB share on boot within a privileged LXC container running Alpine 3.18. I have followed the steps outlined below, but the share doesn't mount automatically on boot.

1. Added the following entry to /etc/fstab:

Code:
//1.2.3.4/mydrive /mydrive cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,credentials=/root/.smb-credentials,iocharset=utf8,noperm 0 0

2. Created a file /root/.smb-credentials with the following content:

Code:
user=myuser
password=mypass

3. Executed the following commands to enable automount on boot:

Bash:
rc-update add netmount boot

The problem is that the SMB share doesn't mount automatically upon booting the container, but I can manually mount it by running the command `mount -a` in the terminal after boot.

I've checked the credentials file and verified that it contains the correct username and password. However, I'm not sure why it's not working as expected during the boot process.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or guidance you can provide to help me resolve this issue. If you have any suggestions or insights on what might be causing this problem, please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!