Allow removal of pve-kvm?

unleeshop

Jul 21, 2009
Proxmox 1.3 has been successfully hosting a KVM Linux machine for our website. In running updates on the Proxmox system I see updates "held back" ( proxmox-ve pve-kernel pve-manager qemu-server) and following online suggestions, I tried "apt-get dist-upgrade". Among other things it tells me:

"The following packages will be REMOVED:
pve-kvm
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libfilesys-df-perl libpve-storage-perl pve-kernel-2.6.24-8-pve pve-qemu-kvm
The following packages will be upgraded:
proxmox-ve pve-kernel pve-manager qemu-server
4 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

All well and good, but that bit about REMOVING pve-kvm makes me nervous. Since I have working a KVM machine now hosting real websites, I can't be breaking anything. Is it safe to do this or should I wait until I have my new fail-over server running so I can copy the VMs over before trying this?

Proxmox 1.3 has been successfully hosting a KVM Linux machine for our website. In running updates on the Proxmox system I see updates "held back" ( proxmox-ve pve-kernel pve-manager qemu-server) and following online suggestions, I tried "apt-get dist-upgrade". Among other things it tells me:

"The following packages will be REMOVED:
pve-kvm
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libfilesys-df-perl libpve-storage-perl pve-kernel-2.6.24-8-pve pve-qemu-kvm
The following packages will be upgraded:
proxmox-ve pve-kernel pve-manager qemu-server
4 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

All well and good, but that bit about REMOVING pve-kvm makes me nervous. Since I have working a KVM machine now hosting real websites, I can't be breaking anything. Is it safe to do this or should I wait until I have my new fail-over server running so I can copy the VMs over before trying this?

just the name changed, therefore the old package will be removed. so nothing unexpected here.

Wow, that was fast. I guess I'll trust the dist-upgrader. However, since I *will* have my new failover server running in about a week or two and will be doping out how to copy/move VMs over to it, I would kick myself if I got impatient about running that upgrade before I have my KVM (which folks are now depending on) backed up to it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!