[TUTORIAL] All the GFX passthrough infos from the forum

r.jochum

Renowned Member
Mar 26, 2018
Austria
rene.jochum.dev
Lot's of People write here in the Forum how they got Passthrough working, in this Post I want to collect all of these for each Model.

Before you can Passthrough any Grafikscard you need to enable "iommu", blacklist drivers and enable vfio for them, follow the PCIe Passthrough Guide for that and remember to use UEFI (OVMF) if you can. on older Hardware you need to follow this tutorial to disable RMRR checks.

If you still can't Passthrough even with Standard VGA drivers, try this tutorial

1. NVIDIA Pascal (Geforce 1xxx)

Geforce 1050 Ti worked after I used a patched ROM.

2. NVIDIA Turing (Geforce 2xxx)

Geforce RTX 2080 Ti worked after completly disabling all output on the GFX.

3. AMD RX Vega

He updated the Firmware of the Card to the latest BIOS to make it working for Linux passthrough.

Personaly I think you need the AMD Navi 10 Kernel Patch below.

4. AMD Navi 10 (Radeon RX 5000 series)

Someone patched the Kernel to correctly reinit the GFX, after that it worked.

Works also with Radeon 5500 XT

5. Intel iGPU (HD 4600)

DevilHandX got it to work

Last edited:
It's a good idea... but wouldn't the Wiki be a better place to list this?

In my experience, the mobo/gpu combination is also important, so that this cross product will become extremely large.

The other problem is that on the forums, normally we hear only from the people having problems running gpu passthrough. I for myself got my 1080ti working just like plugging in, following the wiki articles and it just worked out-of-the-box. I also tried a 9800GT without any luck for over 12h and just went with the 1080ti solution.

I also "passthroughed" other devices without a problem like USB3.1, FC-HBA, 10G NICs etc.

Got mine working with iGPU (i5 8365u (HD620)).

0. Proxmox EFI / ZFS install.

1. added intel_iommu=on video=efifb:off vfio-pci.ids=8086:3ea0 to /etc/kernel/cmdline (and pve-efiboot-tool refresh)
( pve-docs )
//note: video=efifb:off was not necessary in my case, also works without.

2. added
vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci vfio_virqfd
to /etc/modules and update-initramfs -u -k all
( pve-docs )

3. reboot

win10 2004 installation: conf: seabios, cpu: host, std vga, q35. via proxmox gui add pci device, all functions, rom-bar, pci-device.
win10 2004 installation: conf: ovmf(uefi), cpu:host, std vga, q35. via proxmox gui add pci device, all functions, rom-bar, pci-device.
(with both i can connect virtually (ie: Nomachine) to the igpu en run gpu benchmark. Still have no output in hdmi port (in my situation not necessary)).

on an other proxmox host (non-efi install, grub) (i5-8400 HD620) i have not yet got it working.... After installing igpu driver, blue screen on boot Win10 VM

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!