[SOLVED] All files deleted from SMB share after graceful reboot

Reliant8275

Sep 4, 2023
We had a power outage due to Hurricane Idalia and I shut down my Proxmox system when the batteries came on. Shut down my two Ubuntu VMs, shut down my OPNsense router, then shut down Proxmox itself. When it came back on an entire SMB share folder (hosted by the Proxmox host) is empty. My Synology NAS shares are fine. Here's what I know:
  • Proxmox runs on 192.168.1.20.
  • It shares the /downloads directory via SMB, using the user sambauser
  • 192.168.1.40, an Ubuntu VM, writes there for its download client Docker containers.
  • /downloads is empty. From the terminal (root@.20), I can write a folder there.
  • smbstatus on .20 shows .40 connected to the /downloads folder
  • .40 cannot write to the folder via Qbittorrent
  • .40, via SMB, as the sambauser, sees the same data (or lack of) in /downloads, including the added directory
  • All files were written via sambauser via SMB
  • I manually mounted the share to a test directory and it had the same data
  • All directories and files are missing
  • Samba logs say nothing for the .40 logs. 0 bytes.
Any idea if all the data is gone? It was just a temporary downloads folder so no big deal at all but WHY?

Last edited:
Are you sure you did not have any disk partitions or NFS shares mounted on /downloads before?

Last edited:
Reactions: Reliant8275
Are you sure you did not have any NFS partitions or shares mounted on /downloads before?
I don't think I'd used anything NFS at all on my homelab. Every command I could find to list NFS mounts or shares came up blank.

Your mount idea might be right though. I have a second NVME drive that is not appearing on my "df" list. Maybe the entire drive unmounted.

Edit: That was the solution. It was not in the etc/fstab for automount. Manually mounting brought it back. Now to deal with fstab so this doesn't happen next time the power goes out for a day.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!