[SOLVED] Alder Lake iGPU compatibility

eseep

May 1, 2022
hi,
I have a i3-12300 CPU and whant to use the iGPU (UHD Intel® 730) for quicksync transcoding.
However, the latest kernel does not seems compatible.
Bash:
sudo lshw -c video                                                                                                            
  *-display UNCLAIMED
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Intel Corporation
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 0c
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: iomemory:600-5ff iomemory:400-3ff memory:6002000000-6002ffffff memory:4000000000-400fffffff ioport:4000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff memory:4010000000-4016ffffff memory:4020000000-40ffffffff

futhermore, is seems there is also an error on kernel boot :

Bash:
sudo dmesg | grep i915 -A4                                                                                                    
[   33.317111] i915 0000:00:02.0: Your graphics device 4692 is not properly supported by the driver in this
               kernel version. To force driver probe anyway, use i915.force_probe=4692
               module parameter or CONFIG_DRM_I915_FORCE_PROBE=4692 configuration option,
               or (recommended) check for kernel updates.

Do you have any information regarding this issue ?
Thanks !

Hi,

Which exact Kernel version would that be?

The 5.15 based, soon to be default one, works fine with Alder Lake. Actually, I'm even typing this message on an Alder Lake based workstation.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/o...-proxmox-ve-7-x-available.100936/#post-435603
I was just googling this myself as I am not getting quicksync in my windows VM within proxmox (at least according to handbrake) even though I'm using[ [host] as my processor selection and the VM does see the 12th gen i7 cores I gave it. My kernel appears to be 5.13.x. So I'm going to try upgrading to this 5.15 this weekend and see if it helps. If it does, I can probably move my Plex server back to a VM from the physical host that it's on now. That would be nice so I can put that other box to sleep/off most of the time and reduce my power consumption. I'm not interested in GPU passthrough as I don't need a TON of performance. I just want quicksync to handle one or two 4k transcodes now and then. Which I believe it can do.

Hi,

Which exact Kernel version would that be?

The 5.15 based, soon to be default one, works fine with Alder Lake. Actually, I'm even typing this message on an Alder Lake based workstation.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/o...-proxmox-ve-7-x-available.100936/#post-435603
I'm not in the 5.15 actually

Bash:
Linux GladOS 5.13.19-6-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.13.19-15 (Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:59:50 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux

The CPU does works great but not the iGPU, do you suggest that the iGPU (UHD Intel® 730) will be fully compatible in the 5.15 kernel ?

I do trust you, could you point me some ressource to read ? It would help me in the future to find myself this infomations.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hey, Apologies for bumping this.

Is alder lake igpu pass through working now? Proxmox is currently using Linux kernel 5.15.

Hey, Apologies for bumping this.

Is alder lake igpu pass through working now? Proxmox is currently using Linux kernel 5.15.
While I am just a novice at proxmox, I will say that I couldn't get full iGPU functionality in a windows 11 VM on my 12th gen host. At least I couldn't get an opengl application to work (cura) because it complained about the video drivers. And handbrake shows no support for quicksync.
That being said, I had the same thing happen on my 10th gen host as well, and upon further research, I found that iGPU passthrough really doesn't work that great in general. And you only get full hardware "support" for things like quicksync in lxc containers. As the containers supposedly have direct access to the host hardware.
What I ended up doing in my case was I bought a 1050 TI to put in my host as a passthrough for my windows plex vm so it could do hardware encoding of remote 4k streams.
And I got a dirt cheap office grade gpu to pass through in another VM to be able to use that for opengl, the application Cura.
Again, I am quite a novice when it comes to proxmox. This is just based on the various other similar forums I have read through trying to get quicksync to work.
Honestly, I saw no change in 12th gen capabilities between an older build of proxmox and then updating to the most recent build.

Thank you for responding! It was helpful.
I'll be setting up proxmox on a machine with i3 12100(I'll be using it as a nas, with zfs and jellyfin amongst other things) in a few months.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!