AGAIN, proxmox backup server doesn't accept connection after install & reboot

Yes, I agree entirely, I think it is a combination of PBS install on top of debian via APT / and some unwanted interaction that happens when ifupdown2 gets added into mix. I'm not even convinced that ifupdown2 is 'really mandatory' so much as 'nicer in theory'. ie, my semi-insane manual tidy-up steps posted above, appear to leave us with a functional PBS server / with no ifupdown2 present / with just vanilla ifupdown present.

Lots of fun.

Have you checked if networking is still enabled after ifupdown remove / ifupdown2 install ?

If I remember correctly, at least at some point, ifupdown remove script was both stopping network AND disabling it
A quick "systemctl start networking and "systemctl enable networking" and everything was back on track

not quite certain what you mean. But after I've done my custom kludge - network is alive - and if I reboot the PBS host, it reboots smoothly and network is alive after reboot. In contrast if I did not make the custom kludge config adjust, and simply attempted to do (approximately)

- install base clean minimal debian host
- install PBS via apt-get
- then part-way through install, things break / network breaks.
- simply doing a 'systemctl start networking' or 'enable networking' did not help; and rebooting did not help. I think. (?) But now that I think more. ..
... maybe I am mis-remembering, possibly I had only tried the start / and I had tried rebooting (with no success/change) - if it was 'disabled' and I needed to do the 'enable' step. ie, next time I do an install I will try that.

Thanks!

Tim

- install base clean minimal debian host
- install PBS via apt-get
I just tried that here on a small virtual test-appliance - the install went smoothly, ifupdown2 got installed and the network stayed alive (I did the installation via ssh)

So I'm not sure this is a general Problem

I will update the thread next time I setup another host like the other ones I had issues with. I think? they were all setup when PBS was in beta(ie, early December / November approx ) so maybe things are changed since that earlier release. Anyhoo. I appreciate the other tests and feeback... Thanks!

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
I recently installed PBS 1.0-8 (via apt; Debian Buster) in a testing VM on a PVE host, and noticed that my network was gone as ifupdown2 was being installed. Could login via noVNC console and "ifup eth0". No problem with connecting to the GUI afterwards.

Today, I installed PBS on an external server (via apt; Debian Buster; some kind of Parallels virtualization) and didn't notice the first problem, but couldn't connect to PBS GUI afterwards.

I restarted and the server didn't bring up its interface. After some testing, I found the origin in "/etc/network/interfaces". These settings come from our hosting provider, so I don't have much influence here.

This IPv4 config works when "broadcast +" is commented out. Otherwise fails with "'str' object has no attribute 'packed'"
Code:
iface enp0s5 inet static
    address x.x.x.x
    netmask 255.255.255.255
#    broadcast +
    up route -A inet add 169.254.0.1 dev enp0s5
    up route -A inet add default gw 169.254.0.1 dev enp0s5

This IPv6 config doesn't work at all:
- Fails with "error: netlink: enp0s5: cannot add address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx/128 dev enp0s5: operation failed with 'Permission denied' (13)")
- If using the commented parts, also prints "warning: enp0s5: up cmd 'route -A inet6 add FE80::FFFF:1:1 dev enp0s5' failed: returned 7 (SIOCADDRT: Permission denied)" (same error for the second command)

Code:
iface enp0s5 inet6 static
#    pre-down ip -6 addr flush dev enp0s5 scope global || :
    address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    netmask 128
#    up route -A inet6 add FE80::FFFF:1:1 dev enp0s5
#    up route -A inet6 add default gw FE80::FFFF:1:1 dev enp0s5

Not sure if this is related: "Configuration > Network Interfaces"
Code:
line 10: unable to parse netmask '255.255.255.255' - invalid digit found in string

I was able to restore networking after installing proxmox-backup-server on a Debian 10 google cloud VM by editing
Code:
/etc/network/interfaces
. Had to login via serial console as ssh dead.

I changed

Bash:
# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

# Cloud images dynamically generate config fragments for newly
# attached interfaces. See /etc/udev/rules.d/75-cloud-ifupdown.rules
# and /etc/network/cloud-ifupdown-helper. Dynamically generated
# configuration fragments are stored in /run:
source-directory /run/network/interfaces.d

to

Bash:
# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# Cloud images dynamically generate config fragments for newly
# attached interfaces. See /etc/udev/rules.d/75-cloud-ifupdown.rules
# and /etc/network/cloud-ifupdown-helper. Dynamically generated
# configuration fragments are stored in /run:
source /run/network/interfaces.d/*

I have the same problem with a Debian 10 build.

When apt upgrades ifupdown2 to version ifupdown2_3.0.0-1+pve3_all.deb it breaks the network, If I downgrade ifupdown2 to ifupdown2_1.2.5-1_all.deb it works,

Anyone else go this same issue?

I have a similar problem. I installed PBS on bare metal, setup a datastore, disabled the enterprise server for updates and added the pbs-no-subscription repository provided by proxmox.com and fetched and installed the latest updates. A day or two later I went to see if there were any new updates and found that the PBS couldn't connect to the update sites. The PBS itself is accessible from the web interface, so networking is working to some extent but I can't ping out to anywhere from the PBS. I have not done any manual configuration of the firewall on the PBS or changed any firewall settings on my Pfsense router recently.

Still here on a fresh buster install

Last lines before network hang after "apt install proxmox-backup-server" :
Get:35 http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pbs buster/pbs-no-subscription amd64 zfsutils-linux amd64 2.0.4-pve1 [467 kB]
Get:36 http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pbs buster/pbs-no-subscription amd64 zfs-zed amd64 2.0.4-pve1 [66.9 kB]
Fetched 34.0 MB in 3s (11.4 MB/s)
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
(Reading database ... 21988 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing ifupdown (0.8.35) ...

For now I'd recommend
apt install proxmox-backup-server ifupdown
To ensure ifupdown is not removed in favor of ifupdown2

Reactions: oversite
Found it.

The network hang during installation of PBS on top of debian only happens if you are using Debian Buster ifupdown instead of pve one (ifupdown_0.8.35+pve1)
Running apt upgrade before trying to install PBS should prevent this

If network is not coming back after a hard reset, check your network configuration for incompatibility with ifupdown2 (for me it was an old broadcast line which throws an 'str' object has no attribute 'packed' error)
Don't know if there is any config validator script for ifupdown2

Found it.

The network hang during installation of PBS on top of debian only happens if you are using Debian Buster ifupdown instead of pve one (ifupdown_0.8.35+pve1)
Running apt upgrade before trying to install PBS should prevent this

If network is not coming back after a hard reset, check your network configuration for incompatibility with ifupdown2 (for me it was an old broadcast line which throws an 'str' object has no attribute 'packed' error)
Don't know if there is any config validator script for ifupdown2
Excellent work!

A helpful thread.

There is the same issue on bullseye, downgrading from bullseye 0.8.36 version to 0.8.35+pve1 seems to help (but 0.8.35+pve1 version is no longer available in proxmox bullseye no subscription repo):

Code:
wget http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pbs/dists/buster/pbs-no-subscription/binary-amd64/ifupdown_0.8.35%2Bpve1_amd64.deb -O /tmp/ifupdown_0.8.35+pve1_amd64.deb
dpkg -i /tmp/ifupdown_0.8.35+pve1_amd64.deb
apt-get install proxmox-backup-server

Last edited:
All I can tell is that after passing to PBS V2 I had no issues during countless reinstalls trying to make LTO8 to work (still no luck BTW) - happily become a subscriber.
Best Regards!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!