After upgrade to 7.0 all VMs are down

Afox

Renowned Member
Dec 18, 2014
Hello,

my upgrade to 7.0 went not very well.

The VMs didn´t start with the following error messages:
bridge 'vmbr#' does not exist
kvm: -netdev type=tap,id=net#,ifname=tap###i#,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on: network script /var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge failed with status 512
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1
Regards,

Afox

Check your network config. (=> vmbr# does not exist)

You need to check your logs and provide more details.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
There is not one single word mentioning vmbr# in all the logs i checked. I manually recreated the ovsbridge via the webinterface and still it doesn´t come up.

Last edited:
Before I do that one question: is it normal that Proxmox now uses the Open vSwitch package from the Debian repository? Because that is the only package i get offered and I can remember that Proxmox got an individual one. I searched the pve-no-subscription repo for it (openvswitch-switch).

Current installed version is 2.15.0.

Last edited:
Yes, we normally only build when there are much newer upstream versions released, but as we're currently at the very beginning of Debian Bullseye and Proxmox VE 7.0 release cycle, there's no need for that, OVS 2.15 is the latest stable release after all.

Ok, and you say you can´t reproduce it? When you add a new OVS Bridge to an upgraded Node and then add a OVS IntPort to it?

vmbr# looks like this:
allow-ovs vmbr#
iface vmbr# inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge
ovs_ports port1 port2

The IntPort looks like this:
allow-vmbr# port1
iface port1 inet static
address #######/24
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr#
ovs_options tag=#
All added via the webinterface.

Can you please confirm or decline my issue. I was able to add the bridge and the ports manually but most likely after a reboot they are gone again.

Alright, I think the issue is a missing auto vmbr#.

After adding this to the interfaces file the bridge comes up.

But when I add another bridge through the webinterface it wants to delete my change on the previous bridge and remove that auto vmbr#.

So the issue is clearly in your template.

When you add a new OVS Bridge to an upgraded Node and then add a OVS IntPort to it?
Works all well here, Proxmox VE 7.0 with ifupdown2, adding ovs-bridge an int port on it, config is correct. The auto, like recommended in my first post here, is there too.

Ensure that all interfaces there have the auto IFACE stanza like in the examples https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Open_vSwitch#Examples

But when I add another bridge through the webinterface it wants to delete my change on the previous bridge and remove that auto vmbr#.
Just for the record, is the bridge literally named auto vmbr# or is that just a place holder?

Also, cannot reproduce that here, and there are no templates from our side.
Please start actually to post the information we ask for, else this is needlessly time consuming if everything needs to be guessed..

Please post the following commands output in verbatim, only censoring public IP addresses:

Bash:
pveversion -v
ip addr
cat /etc/network/interfaces

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
In your examples there also isn´t a auto vmbr# in front of the OVS Bridge. Also, if you add a OVS Bridge via webinterface there isn´t that auto vmbr# either.

# is a placeholder for a number, yes.

I want to point out again, that this topic is about OVS Bridges and IntPorts.

My config looks like Example 1: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Open_vSwitch#Examples

Last edited:
Also, if you add a OVS Bridge via webinterface there isn´t that auto vmbr# either.
There is, just re-tried again:
1625675023757.png

Yes, I know.

If you do not want to provide the information asked in verbatim we just cannot help you.

In your examples there also isn´t a auto vmbr# in front of the OVS Bridge. Also, if you add a OVS Bridge via webinterface there isn´t that auto vmbr# either.

# is a placeholder for a number, yes.

My config looks like Example 1: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Open_vSwitch#Examples
which version of ifupdown do you have (ifupdown or ifupdown2)?

ifupdown 0.8.36
proxmox-ve: 7.0-2 (running kernel: 5.11.22-1-pve)
pve-manager: 7.0-8 (running version: 7.0-8/b1dbf562)
pve-kernel-5.11: 7.0-3
pve-kernel-helper: 7.0-3
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.4-4
pve-kernel-5.11.22-1-pve: 5.11.22-2
pve-kernel-5.4.124-1-pve: 5.4.124-1
ceph-fuse: 14.2.21-1
corosync: 3.1.2-pve2
criu: 3.15-1+pve-1
glusterfs-client: 9.2-1
ifupdown: 0.8.36
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1
libknet1: 1.21-pve1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.1.1
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.2.0-1
libpve-access-control: 7.0-4
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1
libpve-common-perl: 7.0-4
libpve-guest-common-perl: 4.0-2
libpve-http-server-perl: 4.0-2
libpve-storage-perl: 7.0-9
libspice-server1: 0.14.3-2.1
lvm2: 2.03.11-2.1
lxc-pve: 4.0.9-2
lxcfs: 4.0.8-pve1
novnc-pve: 1.2.0-3
openvswitch-switch: 2.15.0+ds1-2
proxmox-backup-client: 2.0.1-1
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.0.1-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.2-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.2-4
pve-cluster: 7.0-3
pve-container: 4.0-7
pve-docs: 7.0-5
pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20200531-1
pve-firewall: 4.2-2
pve-firmware: 3.2-4
pve-ha-manager: 3.3-1
pve-i18n: 2.4-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 6.0.0-2
pve-xtermjs: 4.12.0-1
qemu-server: 7.0-9
smartmontools: 7.2-pve2
spiceterm: 3.2-2
vncterm: 1.7-1
zfsutils-linux: 2.0.4-pve1

Upgrading to ifupdown2 worked. It seems Proxmox suggested a config that is suitable for ifupdown2 but does not work with ifupdown.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!