Advice on storage

dignus

Renowned Member
Feb 12, 2009
Hi all,

We're going do deploy a proxmox cluster soon. I'd like to get some advice from the people who are using it on what storage method is best. We have a ZFS cluster on the netwerk, so I can use both NFS & iSCSI. What would be the configuration to use so that I'm able to use most of the functionality in proxmox?

Do you want to store Data on the Proxmox nodes ? (If so, what amount/Type of Disks you using per node? - how many nodes ?)
What type of Data you wanna store (in general)?
How much of said Data ?
Whats the connectivity of the Proxmox nodes like ?

Last edited:
Do you want to store Data on the Proxmox nodes ? (If so, what amount/Type of Disks you using per node? - how many nodes ?)

> No. I want to use the already existing storage nodes.

What type of Data you wanna store (in general)?

> What do you mean, VM's I'd say? :) KVM only for now.

How much of said Data ?

> Roughly about 10 TB.

Whats the connectivity of the Proxmox nodes like ?

> Dual 10 gbit (LACP)

Check out this thread:

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/24411-why-not-an-ZFS-over-NFS

Mir afaik answered your question completly :p

A few things making this impossible:
1) NFS does not understand and support ZFS file attributes and ACL
2) NFS does not support atomic writes which brakes basic and fundamental security and integrity in ZFS
3) NFS does not support partitions

Add to the above that it will be plain stupid since it contradict and brake everything which ZFS stands for.

edit: never heared of zetavault before, but their website states they support iscsi.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!