[TUTORIAL] Advancing Proxmox Mail Gateway (especially Spam and Virus Detection)

Hi anyone else has been getting this recently?

Code:
/etc/cron.hourly/sa-update:
Possible unintended interpolation of @infoadvertising in string at /tmp/.spamassassin4845VvIzhdtmp/70_HS_header.cf, rule HS_HEADER_1771, line 1.
rules: failed to compile Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Check::_head_tests_0_5, skipping:
    (Global symbol "@infoadvertising" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my @infoadvertising"?) at /tmp/.spamassassin4845VvIzhdtmp/70_HS_header.cf, rule HS_HEADER_1771, line 1.)
channel: lint check of update failed, channel failed

It looks like heutger is Offline since May 2021.
I hope he is OK, but I am planning to rewrite all 15 pages in one new post, because a lot changed.
Some configurations are EOL and in PMG 7 some features are by default available.
Hello Maxim,
do you have any news on the summary of this forum tread?

I followed this tutorial for very long time and it's working fine.
Until now received this error from sa-update cronjob after updated to PMG 7.3 that shipped along with SpamAssassin 4.0

Code:
/etc/cron.hourly/sa-update:
plugin: failed to parse plugin (from @INC): Can't locate Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/Hashcash.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash module) (@INC contains: lib /usr/share/perl5 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.32.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.32.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.32 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.32 /usr/share/perl/5.32 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at (eval 133) line 1.

config: deprecated setting used, change country_db_type to geodb_module
config: deprecated setting used, change country_db_path to geodb_options
geodb: MaxMind::DB::Reader (GeoIP2) module load failed: Can't locate MaxMind/DB/Reader.pm in @INC (you may need to install the MaxMind::DB::Reader module) (@INC contains: /var/lib/spamassassin/compiled/5.032/4.000000 /var/lib/spamassassin/compiled/5.032/4.000000/auto lib /usr/share/perl5 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.32.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.32.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.32 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.32 /usr/share/perl/5.32 /usr/local/lib/site_perl)
plugin: failed to parse plugin (from @INC): Can't locate Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/Hashcash.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash module) (@INC contains: /var/lib/spamassassin/compiled/5.032/4.000000 /var/lib/spamassassin/compiled/5.032/4.000000/auto lib /usr/share/perl5 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.32.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.32.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.32 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.32 /usr/share/perl/5.32 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at (eval 214) line 1.

config: deprecated setting used, change country_db_type to geodb_module
config: deprecated setting used, change country_db_path to geodb_options
geodb: MaxMind::DB::Reader (GeoIP2) module load failed: Can't locate MaxMind/DB/Reader.pm in @INC (you may need to install the MaxMind::DB::Reader module) (@INC contains: /var/lib/spamassassin/compiled/5.032/4.000000 /var/lib/spamassassin/compiled/5.032/4.000000/auto /var/lib/spamassassin/compiled/5.032/4.000000 /var/lib/spamassassin/compiled/5.032/4.000000/auto lib /usr/share/perl5 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.32.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.32.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.32 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.32 /usr/share/perl/5.32 /usr/local/lib/site_perl)

It seems SA 4.0 doesn't include Hashcash and Maxmind DB Reader modules.
Tried to install Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/Hashcash.pm but SA will be downgraded to 3.4 automatically which is not good.

Anyone try to fix this?

just fyi, the hashcash plugin was deprecated before and is now removed.
quote from the spamassassin 4 release notes:

Removed plugin
--------------

HashCash module, formerly deprecated, has now been removed completely

Hi,
after upgrade to Proxmox MGW 7.3 there is a lot of more Spam. We used sa-update channels like described in this thread.
(for example sa.schaal-it.net).

when I run sa-update --nogpg --channel sa.schaal-it.net -D the debug message is:

Apr 13 15:02:11.273 [3894506] dbg: dns: query failed: 0.0.4.sa.schaal-it.net => NXDOMAIN
Apr 13 15:02:12.964 [3894506] dbg: channel: no updates available, skipping channel

are this rules not compatible with spamassassin 4.0 or might there be a solution to load it with the
new sa-update script ?

Best, Jan

I dont think of this as off topic, so what are the recommended SA Plugins that should be added?
Because we all want to block more junk.

( For me recommend is low false positives and somewhat conservative practices)
My init.pre only has SPF/DKIM & URIDNSBL.

Then for local.cf I have:
use_bayes 0 bayes_auto_expire 0 bayes_learn_to_journal 1 ok_languages all include /usr/share/spamassassin-extra/kam_sa-channels_mcgrail_com.cf

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!