Adding No-Subscription Repo upon install

Mar 10, 2017
Ohio
primeserversinc.com
Hello,

So I've been using Proxmox for a while now, and just ran a few clean installs for some friends. One thing I noticed, is that the enterprise repo is inserted by default (which is fine), but the no-subscription repo isn't, causing issues for users when initially running containers because of issues with newer versions of AppArmor etc. Would this be a good idea to just add the no-subscription repo by default for the install?

Maybe this would be a good option during setup. Choose which repo to use. Default would be as it is now.

Maybe this would be a good option during setup. Choose which repo to use. Default would be as it is now.

You mean during your manual setup on top of your manually installed Stretch? Yes sure ... you can do whatever you want on your manually installed system :-D
The problem is that you need to have access to the enterprise repository without having the proxmox ve packages installed. In an installed system, the file /etc/apt/auth.conf holds the credentials for accessing the enterprise repository.

You mean during your manual setup on top of your manually installed Stretch? Yes sure ... you can do whatever you want on your manually installed system :-D
The problem is that you need to have access to the enterprise repository without having the proxmox ve packages installed. In an installed system, the file /etc/apt/auth.conf holds the credentials for accessing the enterprise repository.

Not sure what you're talking about for manual setups and manually installed systems. I burned the Proxmox image to a flash drive and installed from it. I'd call that a normal install. Just suggesting there be an option during install to revert to the non-subscription repo which would get modified at the proper time during/after installation automatically. Would allow for an immediate 'apt update' 'apt dist-upgrade' as soon as you're online.

Not sure what you're talking about for manual setups and manually installed systems. I burned the Proxmox image to a flash drive and installed from it. I'd call that a normal install. Just suggesting there be an option during install to revert to the non-subscription repo which would get modified at the proper time during/after installation automatically. Would allow for an immediate 'apt update' 'apt dist-upgrade' as soon as you're online.

Oh sorry, yes. I reread your first message again and you did not install on top of stretch. My mistake. I was reading so many messages, I mixed it up.

Generally, it is not a bad idea to have the non-subscription repository selectable on install, but I can understand the potential reason behind this: People are more inclined to buy a subscription in order to get updates and the subscription-warning gone instead of fiddling around with non-subscription repositories and patching files manually.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!