Adding NFS Share as Datastore in Proxmox Backup Server

plastilin

Renowned Member
Oct 9, 2012
Ukraine
I'm currently using a OviOS Linux as my main NFS storage and PBS as virtual machine. I'd like to continue to use network storage as my backup target. How would add my NFS share to the Proxmox Backup Server as storage?

hi,

you can simply mount your NFS share (with mount command or by adding to /etc/fstab). afterwards create a datastore on the mountpoint (via GUI, or with proxmox-backup-manager datastore create mystore /path/to/my/nfs)

Reactions: Nanobug
hi,

you can simply mount your NFS share (with mount command or by adding to /etc/fstab). afterwards create a datastore on the mountpoint (via GUI, or with proxmox-backup-manager datastore create mystore /path/to/my/nfs)
that worked fine for me.
But why does proxmox (backup server) backups free (unused) space from disks?

that worked fine for me.
But why does proxmox (backup server) backups free (unused) space from disks?
Why are you thinking, that PBS backups «free» space?
Use the function «mail» in the settings to send a report to yourself, there you find useful infos about the backup process itself. Like how long it did run and also about which disk/dirty bitmaps did get backup up. The status page of the vm shows alway the whole size of the VM itself, but only changed blocks were transferred to your nfs-share.

For me, it is not working because the directory and share are made by user=root while the datastore creation is made by user "backup"

Code:
root@pbs:/mnt# proxmox-backup-manager datastore create store_core /mnt/store_core
TASK ERROR: EPERM: Operation not permitted
Error: task failed (status EPERM: Operation not permitted)

And NFS does not allow to mouns using uid and gid

So I don't know how to proceed

The backup user needs write access. Did you try to chown the folder on your NAS to the UID of the backup user and/or map the NFS share to the backup users UID?

Last edited:
hi,

Just wanted to let you know this worked.
I used SMB in my setup, but this worked otherwise. Thank you :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!