Adding local storage to GUI

bferrell

Nov 16, 2018
Hello, I'm a very new Proxmox user, and I have done a fair amount of searching, so please bear with me.

My Node3 has 2 internal storage pools, a 1G SSD and a 13TB RAID. The RAID is not showing up in the GUI as storage. I have followed the steps outlined in this nice video.

youtube.com/watch?v=4AIanr65xEY

1) found the dev on the /dev/sdb
2) created a partion /dev/sdb1
3) created a partition group - PV /dev/sdb1 VG RAID12 lvm2 [12.73 TiB / 12.73 TiB free]
4) created a volumegroup - RAID12 (see below)

The video implies that I should now be able to refresh the GUI and see this VG under DataCenter storage, but I do not, when I goto to Storage add new>LVM I only see the old, small Volume Group (pve, RAID12 is missing). Why? I'm sure it seems like a dumb question, but I'm newish to linux.

Brett
Sub: Community 4 socket
upload_2018-12-30_16-34-9.png

upload_2018-12-30_16-58-45.png
vgdisplay - view volume group
--- Volume group ---
VG Name RAID12
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 1
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 0
Open LV 0
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 12.73 TiB
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 3336703
Alloc PE / Size 0 / 0
Free PE / Size 3336703 / 12.73 TiB
VG UUID zBLUGG-pfeh-8WJM-WHwi-0QD7-ecPB-GKPCgD

My Node3 has 2 internal storage pools, a 1G SSD and a 13TB RAID.
If only one node in the cluster have this raid, you should do it on the node who has this volume. On which node you are currently logged in?

Wow. That's the answer, but let me just say, to the new guy, that's confusing as heck. Yes, I only expected it to be available on Node3, but Node1 is the cluster master, and since I can "manage the cluster" from there, would've expected to be able to do this from there. If there were a Storage option at the Node level maybe you could. Anyway, thanks for throwing me a bone, I would literally never have thought to login directly to that node, even though not that you say that, it does make sense.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!