Adding Harddrive --> error

lyter

Renowned Member
Oct 15, 2013
Hello

I'm pretty new to Proxmox, but read about lots of advantages over ESXi, so I had to take a look at it.

So, I installed Proxmox on my HP ML310e with 10GB on a 32GB USB stick (no other drives in the system). Loaded some turnkeys and liked it.
Because I'll need a lot more space, I added a hard drive (1500GB), booted Proxmox and got the following error:
/bin/sh can't access tty job control turned off

If I remove the new hard drive the rig boots normally.
What can I do to use Proxmox and add drives after installation?
:confused: What if I wanted to add a couple more drives in a year?

Thank you!

Hello

I'm pretty new to Proxmox, but read about lots of advantages over ESXi, so I had to take a look at it.

So, I installed Proxmox on my HP ML310e with 10GB on a 32GB USB stick (no other drives in the system). Loaded some turnkeys and liked it.
Because I'll need a lot more space, I added a hard drive (1500GB), booted Proxmox and got the following error:
/bin/sh can't access tty job control turned off

Hi,
where you got this error-messages? before grub?
If I remove the new hard drive the rig boots normally.
What can I do to use Proxmox and add drives after installation?
:confused: What if I wanted to add a couple more drives in a year?

Thank you!
You can add a lot of hdds with proxmox. I assume your bios don't use the usb-stick as first boot-device if the hdd is pluged in (and on you hdd is some stuff?!).

Normaly you should install pve on the hdd - not on an usb-stick (usb-sticks are not the save thing esp. for swap) - better on an raid (with the right raid-level) to avoid trouble due to an faulty hdd.

Udo

I get the message after grub, as far as i recall.
I'll switch to a SSD when I'm confident and want to switch all VMs from ESXi to Proxmox. ;)

I'll switch to a SSD when I'm confident and want to switch all VMs from ESXi to Proxmox. ;)
If you are planning to setup for production in future, you should really look into shared storage such as GlusterFS, CEPH, ZFS. All works great with Proxmox. Local HDD just dont have the convenience of the level of redundancy. Although you can use RAID hardware locally.

Hi,
for testing you can also copy the usb-stick to the 1.5TB-disk.
For this, boot an live-distro like grml and use "dd" (but be sure to take the right source and destination...).
Of course, you need to remove the usb-stick before booting again.

Udo

Thank you so far for your input.

I'll try this. And I'll try to add another disk to check if I get the same error again.
I'll report after testing, hope to find time this weekend.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!