Adding an existing virtual disk image

Thanks Marsalleq, I do feel proxmox needs to improve in this area, there should be a simple add existing image button when creating a VM, or at the very least you should not be forced to create a new disk and then allow to add an image when editing the VM post creation.

It its also always possible to manually add a disk as qemu parameter. Eg if your VM has the ID 100 and your disk is sdX you can add the following line in your config file under /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf:

Code:
args: -drive file=/dev/sdX,if=virtio,index=10,format=raw

Of course proxmox has no understanding of that config, so the disk will not appear in the GUI and probably will not be migrated and so on...

Last edited:
I found how to attach the disk with a combination of the GUI and console.
1 Make sure you have a VM created with the same ID as the ID used on the disk. (I assume you can just rename the disk file name too if you have access to it). So if you have vm-100-disk-2 then you need a VM created with ID of 100.
2 Then do a qm rescan in the console of the Proxmox server.
3 Then the disks show up magically as unused disks in the GUI, under the hardware option within the specific VM
4 Then click edit on them, make sure they look right and click OK.
All done.
"qm rescan"
Thank you very much!

Any particular reason why there is no UI functionality to add/import a VM for which I have a disk ?
My usescans is the following:
my proxmox installation sdd failed and I was forced to reinstall it. After installation I was able to add the old disk which contained the VM disks, I can see the VM disks under node-> storage -> VM Disks, but I'm not finding an easy way to start them in the proxmox console.

Any other virtualization systems I've worked with has such a functionality, but proxmox seems to miss it...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!