Adding a Ceph Storage Pool RBD

Calanon

Feb 4, 2019
Hi ,

I have two ceph clusters and two proxmox clusters.
The first cluster is as follows:

One:

Ceph Cluster version hammer running separately from the proxmox cluster. The storage.cfg contains the config for the Pools that should be added to the promox cluster for storage.

Two:

Ceph Cluster version luminous also running separately from the proxmox cluster. Setup the same way as the first cluster.

In case you didnt realise already we are trying to migrate the data stored in Ceph from Option "One" above to Option "Two".

I had the idea of mounting the ceph pool from Option "One" cluster to Option "Two cluster so that we can use the proxmox move disk feature and have the VM data disks on the new proxmox cluster and ceph storage.

So far I am having problems with this. I contacted ceph experts and they said its a promox thing.

I added the pool "pool-a" from the other system to the Option "Two" system in the /etc/pve/storage.cfg. I also added the ceph.client.admin.keyring. When I look if it is showing as available storage it shows that it has a communication error.

Does anyone have any experience or wisdom with this problem?

For one, I think you may have a naming error, please look through our documentation.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pveceph.html#_ceph_client
The file name needs to be <storage_id> + `.keyring - <storage_id> is the expression after rbd: in /etc/pve/storage.cfg which is my-ceph-storage in the following example:

Secondly thing, your PVE nodes need to have the stock jewel packages of Ceph otherwise it will not be possible to connect to a Ceph hammer cluster and a luminous cluster (client compat assumed) at the same time. But this is no proxmox thing. ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!