[SOLVED] Adaptec Storage Manager Agent - version 7.31

greavette

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2012
Hello,

I've just upgraded my Proxmox Server to 3.1 We have an Adapatec Raid Card in our Server and I'd like to monitor it using the Adaptec Manager from Windows GUI Client.

I know I need to install the Adaptec Storage Manager Agent. This post:

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/15...Manager-(ASM)-on-Proxmox-VE?p=68171#post68171

says I can use adaptec-storage-manager-agent 7.31.18856-1.

I have no idea the steps I need to install this agent on my proxmox server.

Can someone point me to the steps I would need to follow.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
which Adaptec card do you have?

Hello Tom,

Okay, so to sum up what I need to do, I take the rpm file and use Alien to convert it to a deb file. I then use the Proxmox Wiki for Storman to install it to my server.

But there is an unresolved dependency as per the link you gave. Do you know where in /var/lib/dpkg/status I remove this dependency. I'm not sure what I'm looking for?

Here is what I see in my file:

Package: storman
Priority: extra
Section: alien
Installed-Size: 72216
Maintainer: root <root@s22>
Architecture: amd64
Version: 7.31-18857
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libstdc++5 (>= 1:3.3.6-15), libx11-6, libxext6
Description: Adaptec Storage Manager
Adaptec Storage Manager
(Converted from a rpm package by alien version 8.81.)

Thanks.

the dependency problem is on the package from hwraid repo only. ignore it if you go the alien way.

Thanks Tom,

But how do I check to make sure what I've installed is working?

I've installed the Windows Client on a Windows 2008 VM and I've tried to connect to our Proxmox Host where I've installed the agent and it cannot connect? The only message I get is "Unable to connect to the remote system."

This is what I see when I search for StorMan service. Not sure I'm looking for the correct service.

root@swasserver5:~# ps -ef | grep StorMan
root 5913 5859 0 09:03 pts/0 00:00:00 grep StorMan

Thank you.

Hello,

Here are the steps I took to install the storage manager version 7.31:

wget http://download.adaptec.com/raid/storage_manager/asm_linux_x64_v7_31_18856.tgz
tar zxf asm_linux_x64_v7_31_18856.tgz
cd manager
apt-get install alien dpkg-dev debhelper build-essential libstdc++5
alien StorMan-7.31.x86_64.rpm
dpkg -i storman_7.31-18857_amd64.deb
cd /usr/StorMan
chmod +x arcconf
./arcconf GETCONFIG 1

I then updated the stor_agent:
nano /etc/init.d/stor_agent
And I found the lines beginning with #Default and I changed them as per the wiki (although I'm not sure if I leave the # sign or remove it...I left the # sign there for my change):
# Default-Start: 2 3 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6

This is the result of when I saved stor_agent:

root@server5:/etc/init.d# update-rc.d stor_agent defaults
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (3 5) of script `stor_agent' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 5).
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 6) of script `stor_agent' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6).
insserv: script bkupstor_agent: service stor_agent already provided!

I then started the service:
/etc/init.d/stor_agent start

I check the status of what I've installed:

root@server5:/etc/init.d# ps -ef | grep StorMan
root 28659 27067 0 15:20 pts/0 00:00:00 grep StorMan

So....does this mean I've successfully installed Storage Manager for Adaptec on my Proxmox Host?

Because when I try to connect to my server from a Windows VM with Adaptec software I get the very helpful message:

Unable to connect to remote system.

From the steps I outlined, did I do something wrong?

Thanks.

I've got it working now. The only thing I noticed differently from the steps I did to what Martin put on the wiki was how I was starting the service. Once I did: service stor_agent start
I was then allowed to connect to our service from our windows client.

Thanks for your assistance with this Tom (and Martin).

Is there a way to mark a post as solved?

Is there a way to mark a post as solved?

yes, the original poster (and moderators) can mark it as solved, I just did this.

If there is still a problem with the connection, the daemon reacts per default only on IPv6!

You can edit it in:
Code:
/usr/StorMan/StorAgnt.sh

Just expand the following line nearby the end of the file

Original version:
Code:
$JAVA_BIN/java -Djava.compiler=NONE -cp $INSTDIR/RaidMan.jar com.ibm.sysmgt.raidmgr.agent.ManagementAgent $*
Extended version:
Code:
$JAVA_BIN/java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.compiler=NONE -cp $INSTDIR/RaidMan.jar com.ibm.sysmgt.raidmgr.agent.ManagementAgent $*

Edit:
Translated to english

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!