ACPI enable or disable?

NevadaTech

Nov 29, 2021
I saw this in a recent post. Not wanting to hijack the post I created this one.

• Nov 12, 2021
  • Be sure to deactivate all acpi states in the BIOS. I had problems on all newer AMD chipsets with acpi (cpu) states enabled while running PVE. X570, TRX40, etc. And the RAM for the WRX80 should always be chosen from Gigabyte‘s QVL. Also take a look on how the RAM slots shall be filled in which order.

While this references a newer AMD board/chipset than I am using (Asrock X470D4U). Is this a thing? When I was building a test W2K19 it choked because I did not have the VirtIO-drivers ISO loaded in the config. Trying to add a second CD on the fly in the VM config did not work. I could not shut down the VM because the Guest-Agent was not installed and it would not respond to Stop or Shutdown requests. I looked around a bit and found the lock file in /run/lock/qemu-server and then removed the lock file for that server. After that I was able to Shutdown the server (via ACPI).

All of that info was a round-about to get to my question. I needed ACPI so I could shut down the server. How else can you shutdown a server if no Guest-Agent is installed?

ProMox 7.0-8
Asrock X470D4U
Ryzen 3700X

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!