Accidentally installed HestiaCP on Proxmox's shell instead of container, web GUI won't load

sysmin

New Member
Sep 19, 2024
2
0
1
Today I was working with a LXC container running Debian 12. While trying to install HestiaCP, I accidentally ran the commands on the node's shell.
My brain borked and now the web interface cannot connect anymore to the local IP on port 8006.

At least SSH works. Is recovering this server doable, or should I aim to back up containers (listed with pct list) and reinstall Proxmox?
  • I installed Hestia with multiple PHP versions like this.
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hestiacp/hestiacp/release/install/hst-install.sh​
bash hst-install.sh --multiphp yes​
  • I tried deleting Hestia's files and reverting changes from /etc/hosts/ and /etc/hostname/, then reinstalling packages.
sudo systemctl stop hestia​
sudo systemctl stop apache2​
sudo systemctl stop nginx​
sudo systemctl stop mysql​
dpkg --list | grep hestia​
sudo apt-get remove --purge hestia​
sudo apt-get remove --purge apache2 nginx mysql-server​
sudo apt-get autoremove​
sudo apt-get remove --purge exim4 dovecot-core dovecot-imapd roundcube roundcube-core​
sudo apt-get autoremove​
sudo crontab -e​
cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/​
rm hestia.list​
rm mariadb.list​
rm nginx.list php.list​
rm apache2.list​
apt update​
apt upgrade -y​
sudo apt --reinstall install proxmox-ve​
systemctl stop mariadb​
systemctl disable mariadb​
apt remove mariadb​
apt remove mariadbd​
apt remove mariadb-server​
apt remove mariadb-client​
systemctl stop exim4​
systemctl disable exim4​
apt remove exim4 -y​
apt autoremove​
apt remove exim4*​
systemctl stop spamd​
systemctl disable spamd​
apt remove spamassassin*​
apt remove amavis*​
systemctl stop named​
systemctl disable named​
apt remove bind​
apt remove bind9​
apt autoremove​
apt cache​
apt-get clean​
apt install --reinstall proxmox-ve​
hostname --ip-address​
apt update && apt full-upgrade​
apt install proxmox-ve postfix open-iscsi chrony​

  • /etc/networks show:
default 0.0.0.0​
loopback 127.0.0.0​
link-local 169.254.0.0 <- strange IP, maybe related?​
  • My iptables file shows 2 files in /var/tmp/, and received a warning about this file being edited.
vim -r /etc/sysconfig/iptables​

Swap files found:
Using specified name:​
-- none --​
In directory N/tmp:​
-- none --​
In directory /var/tmp:​
1. iptables. swo​
owned by: root dated: Thu sep 19 2021.1​
file name: /etc/sysconfig/iptables​
modified: no​
user name: root​
host name: server.domain.com​
process ID: 47236 (STILL RUNNING)​
2. iptables.swp​
owned by: root dated: Thu sep 19 2021.1​
file name: /etc/sysconfig/iptables​
modified: no​
user name: root​
host name: server.domain.com​
process ID: 47201 (STILL RUNNING)​
In directory /tmp:​
-- none --​

  • Tried this command too, but I believe my case needs the original network setup.
apt install --reinstall pve-manager proxmox-widget-toolkit libjs-extjs​
 
I made a copy of all containers installed as the linked tutorial said, and reinstalled my machine. Oh well, lesson learned.