Access VM thru SPICE on OSX?

mn124700

Feb 22, 2020
I'm wondering if anyone has been able to use SPICE from an OSX (Macintosh) client. i have a Proxmox server running an Ubuntu18.04 desktop VM. I'd like to access this via SPICE from OSX, but I'm not finding a suitable client. anyone know how to get this working?

Thanks
Eric

virt-viewer is the reference client, to get a current version of it, it seems that you'd need to build it yourself..

A bit of searching got me to this homebrew:
https://github.com/jeffreywildman/homebrew-virt-manager

(note I'm not a Mac user and above is just something I found and due to it's github popularity and recent commits seems to have a higher chance to work)

For reference, the upstream site and some build instructions, not sure if they're still up to date though.
https://www.spice-space.org/osx-client.html

I tried so often and I always ended up/setup a VM with e.g. Ubuntu or Debian and run virt-viewer from there. If you get the MacOS virt-viewer to work on MacOS, the integration and experience is really not "macos application like". Even under Windows, the features are not as good as the features on Linux.

Just an update on this, I've gotten it to work but it's not stable on Apple Silicon- it frequently crashes, clipboard is sometimes unidirectional (VM->Client), Window Resizing doesn't work sometimes, etc. However, performance is quite good.

Client
Code:
brew tap jeffreywildman/homebrew-virt-manager; brew install virt-viewer
virt-viewer pve-spice\ \(1\).vv

You can also create an automator.app script to launch them automatically and tell Firefox or Chrome to open the extension everytime automatically so it's more seamless.

Automator Instructions
Cheers,

Tmanok

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!