About creating new Storage

vittorio zambon

Mar 5, 2018
I apologize if the question is trivial but for days I have been searching the web but I find no answers. I need to add mass storage to my Proxmox box and I followed this guide in creating a logical volume "inside" a volume group: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Extending_Local_Container_Storage.

However at this point, my Proxmox web-GUI does not yet see any new usable (local) storage. It appears to be empty and "Inactive"

So I tried to follow this guide where, however, I do NOT find any indication how to "connect" the "Proxmox-level-storage" of <ow-storage-pxmx> to the space provided by an LV: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

Maybe it depends on the fact that the state is "inactive"? Unfortunately I can not change this flag.

pvesm status
Name Type Status Total Used Available%
local dir active 17414928 1391252 15116004 7.99%
local-lvm lvmthin active 36261888 0 36261888 0.00%
ow-storage-pxmx lvmthin inactive 0 0 0 0.00%

The following command does not resolve my issue; it seems to be aimed elsewhere.

pvesm set ow-storage-pxmx --disable false

Here is the content of my file: /etc/pve/storage.cfg

lvm: ow-storage-pxmx
thinpool lvol
vgname ow-vg
content images

Thanks!

my Proxmox web-GUI does not yet see any new usable (local) storage
where did you expect it to show?
it should show in the tree as ow-storage-pxmx (NODENAME)

can you also post the output of
Code:
lvs
vgs

Reactions: vittorio zambon
First of all, thank you for your kind and quick reply !

I did actually see that new storage in the tree area exactly as you expected it. But the matter is that it's icon is associated to a question mark (that replace the usual "fullness-meter" :) and in the right area it's details show as being unavailable (inactive and with size equal to 0).

But I believe that the reason for this is that I messed up with file /etc/pve/storage.cfg during my experiments. So actually it's no surprise. I was trying to create a Directory-type storage upon an LVM that I had just created; which is probably nonsense. At last I found out that maybe the only way to expand the "directory.type" storage i to expand the pve/root LVM and that no other would do. Am I right?

upload_2018-3-7_10-55-50.png

Now, I must admit that I cannot show lvs & vgs any more beacause I deleted that configuration and managed to create one that suits my immediate needs. So my interest now is purely theoretical: how are the entities in LVM-thin (and "Directory", and, NFS, iSCSI, GlusterFS, RBD, RBD, ZFS, rtc...) defined in PVE ?

For what concerns LVM (Not Thin) I get the following pop-up that eases my choice:

upload_2018-3-7_10-56-19.png
But how do I provide the other types of PVE-Storage with "logical space"?​

I tried with LVM-thin but I get no options in the Thin-Pool datafield! And I failed to create one....

So, where can I read information concerning how to provide this pop-up storage-space for each different PVE-storage-type ?

Thanks a lot !

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-7_10-55-6.png
    upload_2018-3-7_10-55-6.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 3
  • upload_2018-3-7_10-55-6.png
    upload_2018-3-7_10-55-6.png
    17 KB · Views: 3
You are right, of course! I read that wiki page days ago, but had understood it far too little! :) Now it's much clearer to me ..... at least in principle. In time I will try the various types of underlying storage.

But still the dir-type is not so explicitly explained, but I guess that the only way of expanding it is:
1) follow this hint from the wiki: You can mount additional storages via standard linux /etc/fstab, and then define a directory storage for that mount point. This way you can use any file system supported by Linux.
2) extend the / (root) partition inside the pve/root LVM somehow (not easy nor advisable, I suppose).

Please let me know if am almost right, Thanks!

Extending the root partition is depending on your requirement, if you need space at root partition, since its LVM based you can follow any guide to extend the LVM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!