A Question about Partitions...

Whitterquick

Aug 1, 2020
What is the point of partitioning a disk with a single (full disk) partition? I see most guides include this step but never a reason why. Partitions have always been about separation (or so I thought), but there is nothing to separate if using the full disk as a single volume. Why have /dev/sdc1 if there is no /dev/sdc2? Surely it makes sense to just use /dev/sdc and install the file system on that? What am I missing? o_O

To some extent, it's a standard/expected. While it is possible to create some file systems directly on a block device (I believe ZFS creates partitions automatically), you don't really gain anything from it. On the other hand, without a partition table, some OSes may be confused by the device, and not recognize that it contains meaningful information. It may also be confusing to anyone working with the system.

Reactions: Whitterquick

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!