A few questions

tiberius

Nov 5, 2016
Dear All,

As I wrote in my first post I do currently test 'proxmox' before I may ;-) do the move....I have a couple of questions. Btw. running proxmox ve 4.3-10/7230e60 with the no subscription repo on a dell server.....

1. Backup / Restore
1.1 If I schedule backup tasks on a dest. volume (with eg. max backups 2) does it then rotates or does it simply stop to backup ?
1.2 While doing manual backups with the stop variable I thought it stops the vm till the backup process is completely done ? I do ask because It it's not?
1.3 What is if I do offsite backup/archiving of eg. vm101 and after a while I wanna restore it but in the part time a new/different vm101 is present?
1.4 Is it fine to manually rename vm backups in a human readable way- U know for archiving with restoration in mind.
1.5 Is it straightforward possible to restore a vm backup on another proxmox host ?
1.6 How to backup the config files of an proxmox host itself btw. I was always wondering why no vm appliance has a real interest of doing or implementing this in a common way ?

2. bonding
lacp seems to be recommended right, which layer do you guys recommend and why?

3. Performance (Virtio or not)
I've read so many different thoughts about this as well as at this forum, the docu and the wiki...
3.1 Linux/Windows : hd (virtio or scsi) the embeded docu says scsi which is also virtio right and the default since 4.3 for linux guests, so scsi and not virtio for windows and linux + write back for linux and windows ?
Linux/Windows : net (virtio or e1000) ?

Best & Thanks in advance !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!