A Conversation about Backup Strategies and PBS

I have to admit. I don't use ZFS! My home lab and Work environment are Both Ceph, In addition I am a bad person who runs Proxmox Backup Server in a VM with HDDs OVER NFS! (this is changing).

so I need to do some research.

The proxmox-backup-client will also just copy files/folders and not the ZFS filesystem under it. If you just want to copy your datasets there is always the option to use zfs replication like the pve-zsync you already mentioned. PBS also supports to use a ZFS pool as a datastore, so a PBS with ZFS could be a target for both PBS backups and ZFS replication.

But I don't see a problem that PBS will just backups files/folder. It won't hurt that snapshots aren't backuped because you can basically create as much backups as you like without consuming more space than the snapshots. I don't use ZFS snapshots anymore since I got the PBS running, because snapshots just waste additional space. I just moved from weeky Vzdump Backups + daily snapshots to daily PBS backups without any snapshots and now I'm saving alot of capacity with that. PBS also got checksumming, also got compression, also got encryption, also got deduplication (and that without having hundreds of GBs of RAM) and it can sync between differnt PBS as an alternative to replication.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwithd
Hello @Dunuin !

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

But, I don't quite get this part:

(...) because snapshots just waste additional space. I just moved from weeky Vzdump Backups + daily snapshots to daily PBS backups without any snapshots and now I'm saving alot of capacity with that. (...)

How do you managed those 20TB of data that you have (ok, I have...) at the host level? That 20TB that isn't inside any container or VM, with PBS and no snapshots?

I guess that rotating snapshots are a good way to do incremental backups in ZFS. Don't you?

You can use the proxmox-backup-client to backup/restore any file/folder on your PVE host. It doesn't have to be part of a VM/LXC. For example useful to always have a recent backup of the PVE configs at /etc/pve and so on.

Ok. And is there a menu entry to make this type of backup in Proxmox VE version 7*?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!