How do I create VMs on the local-lvm / lvm-thin storage?

sontek

Sep 1, 2020
I just did my first proxmox install ever on a 500gb disk. I used all defaults so it is using ext4. After install I wanted to create my first VM and when I clicked create VM it said there is only 90gb available on the "local" disk for creating VMs:

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 10.24.10 AM.png

So I went digging into the interface to find the other 400gb and it seems like proxmox is using LVM to manage the disk and it created another storage called "local-lvm" that has 338gb free but it doesn't show up in that storage dropdown.

Under disks there is a "LVM-Thin" disk that reflects the same 338gb with the name "data"

So how do I get proxmox to let me create VM images on that larger disk where most of the storage is allocated? Why is there 2 separate storages created by default?

So how do I get proxmox to let me create VM images on that larger disk where most of the storage is allocated?
Check the storages under `Datacenter -> Storage`. There should be the local-lvm storage. Make sure that the `Content` field is set to `Disk Image` and `Container`.

This is what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 10.40.28 AM.png

Its setup for Disk Image, Container, and is enabled.

OH! I completely misunderstood what I was selecting here. As you can see from my first screenshot I was still selecting the media to boot it (ISO), which is the only one setup for ISO Image storage.

But once I moved passed that I was able to use the local-lvm storage to put the VM on top of.

Thanks!

I got caught by this as well.
For the sake of interface clarity where IMHO Proxmox has margin of improvements I would suggest one or more of the following:

- On the OS tab rename the "Storage" to "Source Storage"
- On the OS tab above Storage add a header called "Installation media"
- Move the OS tab after the disk one

Just some ideas
Thanks

Hi,
I got caught by this as well.
For the sake of interface clarity where IMHO Proxmox has margin of improvements I would suggest one or more of the following:

- On the OS tab rename the "Storage" to "Source Storage"
- On the OS tab above Storage add a header called "Installation media"
I sent a couple of patches for discussion, which implement these suggestions (well, I used ISO storage ;)). I think the Installation media one is pretty good.

- Move the OS tab after the disk one
Unfortunately, we can't do this, because settings like the default drive controller are auto-selected depending on the OS type. And it would break the workflow for people that are already used to it ;)

Just some ideas
Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!