7.3 install failed with error "Cannot run in framebuffer mode"

adhityan

Mar 4, 2023
Hello, first time Proxmox user. I have a new setup -

1. Intel 13th Gen 13900K CPU
2. Gigabyte Aorus Pro Motherboard
3. No GPU

Installation of Proxmox fails pretty early on (right after the DHCP lease) with the error "Cannot run in framebuffer mode". After checking TTY2 around the X.Org Server and researching online, I think it is because of the lack of support for the Raptor Lake iGPU in the default kernel 5.15 in Proxmox 7.x series. Support is only included in kernel versions >= 5.16.

Now, while Proxmox already offers an opt-in support for kernels 5.19 and 6.1, both of which should fix my issue - I am not sure how to use them with the installer. All documentation is around how to switch an installed Proxmox to the new kernels. My issue is - I need the new kernel during the install. I can't simply install it using the shell that pops up post install fail because a kernel change needs reboot and a reboot would undo any changes I made (as I am booting my installer from an USB stick and it uses a RAMDisk to load initial changes and existing kernel).

My question - is there an installer ISO built for Proxmox with the newer kernels (like 6.1 / 5.19) directly? For example - my issue is similar to this one - https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/installation-fails-with-intel-uhd-graphics-750.90242/
and a similar fix (with an even newer kernel 5.19 / 6.1) should work for me.

If there is no prebuilt installer ISO for Proxmox for newer kernels, any suggestions on how I could proceed here?

Last edited:
Hi, one alternative would be to install Debian Bullseye (with a non-graphical installer) first, and then installing Proxmox on top of that, as described here [1].

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_install_proxmox_ve_on_debian

Yes, it's an option. But will this even be a Type 1 Hypervisor post that? I would prefer to find a solution which involves just proxmox - although, I wonder if proxmox just runs a full debian underneath (I know it's based on Debian) ?

In the end, a "natively" installed Proxmox is a Debian system with custom kernel and packages (installed from custom repositories), so there is no fundamental difference to Proxmox installed on top of Debian. However, the Proxmox installer *does* make it easier to set up LVM/ZFS in a way that plays nicely with Proxmox, which is more work when installing on top of Debian. For more information, see this wiki article [1].

Another alternative would be to temporarily put the hard drive into a different machine where graphics output works, and run the installer there.

Also, I just remembered a post by a user who managed to install Proxmox headless with a temporary "live" Proxmox on a USB stick and serial access [2], though I have not looked at it in detail, so I don't know if this is a viable alternative.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye
[2] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/headless-building-proxmox-server-solution.122641/

I had the same problem installing pve 7.3 on a Supermicro system With AMD processor. The graphics device here is an ASPEED card and the Xorg driver needed but not found is named ast. I found these infos in Xorgs logfile after Xorg died.

This solution to get Xorg running is based on sergey-cheperis-proxmox7.1-issue

When starting from pve 7.3 install media type "e" to see and edit the grub configuration and change the kernel commandline. Add the following instructions in order to blacklist the "ast" Xorg driver so upon booting it will not be loaded.

ast.blacklist=1 modprobe.blacklist=ast video=offb:off

When the install system has booted and Xorg has failed to start run this in your root shell to create a default xorg config:

Code:
Xorg -configure
cp /xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Next edit the file xorg.conf file
vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and change the following entries:
Code:
# Replace existing Section "Module" to:
Section "Module"
   Disable "glx"
   Disable "glamoregl"
EndSection
#...
#...
# In section Device:
# Change Driver to "fbdev", and add the busid of the graphics device
Driver "fbdev"
BusId:  "PCI0:62:0:0"

You can find the BusDd by running lspci |grep -i vga . In my case the result of this command was:
Code:
62:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family (rev 41)

Next run xinit to start the graphical installer. After the end of the installation you will end back in the shell from where you started xinit. Simply enter STRG-d to exit this shell and the system should reboot.

Hello, first time Proxmox user. I have a new setup -

1. Intel 13th Gen 13900K CPU
2. Gigabyte Aorus Pro Motherboard
3. No GPU

Installation of Proxmox fails pretty early on (right after the DHCP lease) with the error "Cannot run in framebuffer mode". After checking TTY2 around the X.Org Server and researching online, I think it is because of the lack of support for the Raptor Lake iGPU in the default kernel 5.15 in Proxmox 7.x series. Support is only included in kernel versions >= 5.16.

Now, while Proxmox already offers an opt-in support for kernels 5.19 and 6.1, both of which should fix my issue - I am not sure how to use them with the installer. All documentation is around how to switch an installed Proxmox to the new kernels. My issue is - I need the new kernel during the install. I can't simply install it using the shell that pops up post install fail because a kernel change needs reboot and a reboot would undo any changes I made (as I am booting my installer from an USB stick and it uses a RAMDisk to load initial changes and existing kernel).

My question - is there an installer ISO built for Proxmox with the newer kernels (like 6.1 / 5.19) directly? For example - my issue is similar to this one - https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/installation-fails-with-intel-uhd-graphics-750.90242/
and a similar fix (with an even newer kernel 5.19 / 6.1) should work for me.

If there is no prebuilt installer ISO for Proxmox for newer kernels, any suggestions on how I could proceed here?
I has similar dramas with installing Proxmox on gaming motherboards. Here is the solution https://youtu.be/-6fRTpmmuHs

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!