6.3 vzdump imported to 6.0, resulting vm won't boot

Aug 4, 2020
I used a 6.3 proxmox test host on my desk to migrate some VMware VMs into Proxmox. I got them booting and running on my test host. I did a vzdump to export them, then sneakernet to get them into their target proxmox clusters. The VMs I imported into a Proxmox 6.4 cluster worked fine. The VMs I imported into a 6.0.11 cluster are refusing to boot. When I look at their options, I get garbage in the Boot order field. The 'restore' process from the vzdump completed without complaints.

bootorder.PNG

I compared the VM's conf file in /etc/pve/nodes/XXX/qemu-server/YYY.conf with VMs created on the target cluster, but the fix wasn't obvious. Has anyone else seen this issue? Is there a pointer to a reference I can go read through for how to fix these VMs? This is a production cluster so I'm wary about experimenting with it directly with vim.

note the default format for the boot config changed sometimes, so this is expected
also generally backups made with newer versions of pve do not necessarily work with older pve versions (e.g. with new qemu-machine versions)
but backups from older versions should work with a newer pve

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!