5 Node Cluster - Ceph [25] Mixed Drive OSD (nvme,ssd,sas) - Help With Optimal Configuration?

bigobx

Jul 27, 2023
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/4-node-ceph-cluster-no-switch.131248/

Shout out to all the peeps who have helped me thus far on this quick journey.

Im decently new to all of this and just dipped my toes in the waters with this setup so please keep that in mind.

Ive made some changes based on the lessons learned in that first thread so felt a new one was better suited but please merge if not appropriate.

As a reminder, this is my Homelab set up and not even my production stack as im running a few Bare Metal servers that i want to decom once this os running well so im focusing on the "infra" build still. As such some parts are new and ordered for the build but many are old stock pieced together especially when it comes to disks so pardon some of the variance.

Summary of Cluster:
I have (3) identical nodes that are the core of the cluster, I plan to have these run most of the heavy VM's and the other two are for quorum and extra storage, which is mostly the topic for this thread.
(3) Dell 5040 SFF's - i5-6500 @ 32gb NON ECC​
Storage:​
  • (1) 500 gb Samsung Evo nvme (Device class shows up as SSD in GUI, should i be worried?)
  • (2) 250gb Crucial MX500 ssd (scored a lot of 10 so spread them around the nodes)
Network:​
  • 10G Mellanox for Ceph (public as well)
  • Dual Port 1G Broadcom in LACP for LAN/MNGT
  • Onboard Intel 217 for corosync Ring 1
  • USB 1gb Realtek for corosync Ring 2
(1) HD EliteDesk SFF - i5-4950 @ 3.3 - 32gb NON ECC (mostly to be the odd man for quorum but had it laying around so why not)​
  • (1) 256gb Synix nvme (Device class shows up as SSD in GUI, should i be worried?)
  • (1) 256 GB Samsung ssd
  • (1) 128gb Kingston ssd (Pending install if not needed for WAL - see below)
Network:​
  • Dual 1G Intel 1000 in LACP for LAN/MNGT (this computer refused to boot with ANY dual port 1G cards i tried)
  • Onboard Intel 217 for corosync Ring 1
For these three, since they are all flash storage, not much "tunning" needs to be done but please let me know if so.​
These are all setup using default settings via the gui.​
Now for the Odd man out with the Odd storage where i think some advice might benefit me but again, kinda dont know so looking for feedback​
(1) HP Proliant ML360G6 - DUAL 2.9 XEONS - 48GB ECC MEM​
  • (1) 256gb Synix nvme (Device class shows up as SSD in GUI, should i be worried?)
  • (1) 256gb Synix ssd
  • (4x) 256gb Crucial MX500 ssd
  • (8x) 146gb SAS HP drives (6 are 10K and 2 are 15K variants)
    • 128gb Kingston SSD for DB
Network - Currently running an RSTP single port ring with this machine serving as the HUB, Mikrotik in the mail​
  • Dual Port Intel X520 for Ceph (public as well)
  • Dual Onboard 1G broadcom in LACP for LAN/MNGT
  • 1g Intel 1000 for corosync Ring 1
So my two main concerns are:
  1. SAS drives
    1. Should they just be part of the main pool or should i group them into a "slower" pool
    2. Im under the impression that Ceph understands the data and will "sort the data" accordingly to get the best use of the disc capacity
  2. Benchmark - How do i test out this stack to see what works well? It seems to work great right now but you know what they say about telemetry versus the good old butt dyno lol

Last edited:
Any thoughts or comments, please let me know. I think the infra build is prety much done and next im off to deploying workloads on the stack and configuring all of that fun stuff.

Thinking about doing a resource pool on the 3 horsemen for main services like Plex where i need GPU passthrough and the odd men out can be another pool for the non GPU services.

Quick Few Updates:

I had to redo some OSD's so redid the NVME drives and instead of doing auto select, I manually selected NVME

These are all Flash based NVME and SSD
Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 4.47.57 PM.png
Mostly SAS drives with some SSD and 1 NVME
SAS drives have a shared 128GB SSD assigned for DB
Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 4.55.16 PM.png
Crush - Root Default:
Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 4.51.53 PM.png
I think these are nice speeds for the CepH network:
Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 5.13.12 PM.png
And ofcourse, some hardware shots of the cabling, dont mind some of the other wires, thats another project for another day hahaha

Main 3 identical nodes:
Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 5.02.53 PM.png

2 Odd men out:
Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 5.03.24 PM.png

The Lab Switch is old but kicking lol:
Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 5.10.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 5.14.26 PM.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!