4.1 - ZFS shares not working

dwkdnvr

Jan 4, 2016
Hi,
I'm new to proxmox, just getting 4.1 set up on a simple Dell T20 (xeon) config. OS is installed on a Samsung 850 SSD, and I have ZFS managing a mirror of 2x2TB WD reds. I'm in the stage of experimenting before committing to a final config, but things are going fine for the most part.

The problem I'm experiencing is that trying to directly share a ZFS dataset either via smb or nfs isn't working (i.e. setting sharesmb=on or sharenfs=on). Once I got the samba and nfs packages installed, the command completes without error, but the share isn't visible using smbclient/showmount, and I can't access it from a hosted VM. No entries in any log files that I can find. I can successfully share the filesystem mount point (e.g /tank/music) using /etc/exports or smb.conf, so I believe that the base services are working correctly, but I'd prefer to use the direct shares if possible.

Based on the docs for ZoL here http://zfsonlinux.org/faq.html there doesn't appear to be anything complicated with setting up the shares, so I'm not sure where to look.

thanks for any suggestions.

Sorry for the slow followup - thanks for the reply.

That's actually the link I've been using to set things up, but apparently I completely glossed over the bit about the nfs daemon not running unless there is an existing mount in /etc/exports. After adding the dummy entry, zfs shares over nfs do seem to be working as expected.

SMB shares are still not working, though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!