Keith Miller

Aug 12, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
my VM's are using Ubuntu 18.04
I'm on ProxMox VE 6.1-5
Dell R610 with 96Gig Ram, 2 Tb of storage

I have 2 public IP 98.179.240.a and a 2nd 98.179.240.b
server a Dell R610 has 4 NIC's
1st NIC is working fine using a IP 98.179.240.a and nat (WORKS)
2nd NIC IP 98.179.240.b is plugged into my ISP supplied modem which has port 8 bridged (DOES NOT WORK)

questions:
where can I find out which physical NIC is connected to the working VM
and which NIC is available for use on the IP 98.179.240.b for the 2nd VM

is eno1 connected to eth0
eno2 connected to eth1
eno3 connected to eth2 .....

I have tried creating a eno4 network device with no network information and vmbr3 linux bridge, bridge ports eno4
this has not worked

Keith

VMs use a bridge (vmbrX) to connect to a physical interface. The bridge port of the interface is the physical interface used.

If you want to use the second IP for one VM you have to create a bridge with the according physical interface as bridge_port. Then assign that bridge to the network card of the VM and set the IP inside the VM. Do not assign the second IP to your Proxmox VE node.

A bridge is basically a switch, connecting physical and / or virtual interfaces. You can assign an IP to it, but don't have to.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!