2 Port NIC with pfsense - multiple subnets and VLANs in DMZ

AndroGen

Feb 3, 2022
Germany
Hi to the community,
I am still in the learning hence ask for verification / help.

Objectives: install pfsence on small, 2 NIC PS within Proxmox.

Reason for the set-up: – the possibly to deploy another service on the same box (nginx); possibility to make pfsense snapshots before the upgrade and roll back in case of issues; later HA.

The situation is: the local (DMZ) network is sliced to multiple VLANs, which are not interacting with each other. Proxmox (management access) will be on one of these VLANs (marked as default VLAN, and considered to be “no” VLAN).
The IP ranges are different, each VLAN has own range (different to where Proxmox is)
The landscape is visualized.
Current set-up: pfsense is bare bon installation running for several years already.

Reading the discussion around pfsence I’ve learned that it should be possible to have it on just 2 NIC set-up, just with come limitations.
This thread https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/2-port-nic-with-pfsense.58824/ was very helpful to understand some aspects, but I could not find detailed answers on my set-up (or similar), understand the limitations in case of multiple subnets / VLANs.

Where I am struggling and could not find the answer: is it possible to have “different subnets/ VLANs in parallel to the one where Proxmox is? And if yes, does the attached picture makes sense and would work?

If now, what needs to be changed? Where is a design / concept error?

2022-11-02_12-16-58.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!