2 or 3 node cluster with FC SAN (Compellent)

flexyz

Sep 22, 2016
Hi

I have a 3 node vmware cluster that I wish to convert to Proxmox. All nodes have dual FC HBA connected to FC-Switch (multi-path)

How should I do the configuration? and can I do live migrations etc.?

SAN size it 35TB - should I carve it out to smaller LUNS?

Thanks
Felix

How should I do the configuration? and can I do live migrations etc.?

The only working configuration is LVM, which works out of the box. Just configure your multipath according to e.g. this guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/multipath-setting-up-dm-multipath.html

SAN size it 35TB - should I carve it out to smaller LUNS?

Works, but it there still the VMware stuff on it? Setting up the storage will wipe everything on it.

Thanks I will migrate all esx vm to some other storage and reformat the production SAN.

So after assigning new volumes to the nodes and configure the multipath, I can format it as LVM shared on promox and we I am ready to go?

Thanks

So after assigning new volumes to the nodes and configure the multipath, I can format it as LVM shared on promox and we I am ready to go?

formatting is somewhat windows term, but yes. You just create the physical volumes and the volume group ontop and add it as storage to all nodes as LVM and enable the 'shared' option. Afterwards everything is good to go.

If you like to test that, just spin up a Proxmox VE test cluster inside of ESX and add a shared storage or disk there to play around. Better to test is before migrating :-D

If you like to test that, just spin up a Proxmox VE test cluster inside of ESX and add a shared storage or disk there to play around. Better to test is before migrating :-D
Hmm,
this is not an real test... (only to see how pve use shared storage).
And if all vmware-vms are migrated away - what should go wrong?

Udo

I am sure it wil work just fine. I just want to be sure I know what to do when I have migrated all the ESX VMs and have the SAN available for proxmox.

I tried to test a two node cluser running on ESX, but I can't assign the same disk to each of the nodes - so can't really test it.

So the I just have to follow this guide https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_(LVM) and create the LVM group on one of the nodes and add them as shared on both nodes?

Thanks

So the I just have to follow this guide https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_(LVM) and create the LVM group on one of the nodes and add them as shared on both nodes?

If the LUNs are present on all nodes and the multipath configuration is identical (or almost), then yes :-D

Can I use LVM with stripped disks (equal size) also?

Multiple physical volumes can be used to create a volume group. They can also be assigned at any time. Even removing works if you move the extends to other physical volumes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!