2-node cluster with 4.1

verboEse

Mar 16, 2016
Hi.
I'm running into problems tring to do a fresh install of a 2-node cluster with the recent 4.1. My steps after the installation of both nodes are:
  • on both nodes:
    • switching to no-subscription repository
    • apt-get update
    • apt-get dist-upgrade
  • on first node (10.129.234.94):
    • pvecm create MyCluster
  • on second node (10.2.173.173):
    • pvecm add 10.129.234.94
Adding the node hangs for a long time, then dropping an error:
Code:
Job for corosync.service failed. See 'systemctl status corosync.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
waiting for quorum...
... and:
Code:
# systemctl status corosync.service
[...]
Mar 16 15:02:30 portugal corosync[2765]: [QUORUM] Quorum provider: corosync_votequorum failed to initialize.
Mar 16 15:02:30 portugal corosync[2765]: [SERV  ] Service engine 'corosync_quorum' failed to load for reason 'configuration error: nodelist or quorum.expected_votes ...onfigured!'
Mar 16 15:02:30 portugal corosync[2765]: [MAIN  ] Corosync Cluster Engine exiting with status 20 at service.c:356.
[...]

I know that HA isn't possible anymore with a two-node cluster, but according to the Wiki it should be possible to create a cluster at all.
Both nodes are able to resolve each other's name - be it FQDN or not. Reverse Lookup is not possible though. Could that be the problem?!

A 2-node cluster is possible. I have 2-nodes in my test/demo/home/play cluster. Non-HA.
Both of mine are in the same subnet.
Can each node ping the other?

I have no idea if FQDN Reverse Lookup is required. I set up Reverse DNS right before I setup these 2 nodes, and I did the pvecm based on name.

FYI, here's my cluster:

root@pve2:~# pvecm nodes
Membership information
----------------------
Nodeid Votes Name
1 1 pve1
2 1 pve2 (local)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!