2.2 my first snapshot test

Jae Lee

Renowned Member
hi so i just upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2 w/o a problem and i created a new KVM w/ qcow2, installed cpanel, and then went to proxmox to try out the new snapshot.
now it's been over 5 mins and still says: Task: VM 100 - Snapshot w/ the progress bar looping over and over.
and I see that the VM is not responding.
is this really how it's supposed to work?

now after waiting a bit longer it finally timed out with this message:

Formatting '/storage/hit2tb/images/100/vm-100-state-first.raw', fmt=raw size=17553162240
TASK ERROR: VM 100 qmp command 'snapshot-drive' failed - got timeout

any ideas?

and btw, VM is responsive again.

Seems to be a problem with the storage on /storage/hit2tb - allocating a 16GB file should be fast, but takes forever?

BTW, you can stop any task - just open the task log view and press 'stop'

OK, seem your VM uses 8GB RAM. If the VM is running, that means the we need save up to 16GB RAM state.
Seems you storage is simply to slow to save that withing 10 minutes (hardcoded timeout). What kind of storage is that (how fast)?

no.

could this be happening because the storage isn't on LVM? currently it's using just a ext4 mounted folder.

Currently, live snapshot only works with qcow2 files, and that does not work on LVM (needs a file system). But It seems that qcow2 is very slow on creating snapshots on large files - while it works perfectly on smaller files.

how fast is your ext4 storage? run pveperf and post it here:

> pveperf /path-to-your-ext4-storage

Hey guys, i've got the same Problem as Jae Lee.

The output of pveperf /home ist

CPU BOGOMIPS: 54401.04
REGEX/SECOND: 1712089
HD SIZE: 1740.20 GB (/dev/md3)
BUFFERED READS: 145.22 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 14.30 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 51.08
DNS EXT: 55.28 ms

Any Idea how to fix that the vms are not reachable while taking a snapshot?

Thanks and best regards
Carsten

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!