Can't update some of my VMs - Error Message "no storage ID specified"

HeyWatchOutDude

Mar 26, 2023
Hi,

I can't backup some of my VMs via PBS (v2.3-3 / encrypted), it always generates the following error message:

Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 201 --notes-template '{{guestname}}' --mode snapshot --storage pbs-mi --node pve --remove 0
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 201 (qemu)
INFO: Backup started at 2023-03-26 01:39:13
INFO: status = running
INFO: VM Name: cloud
INFO: include disk 'scsi0' 'local-zfs:vm-201-disk-0' 100G
INFO: exclude disk 'scsi7' '/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST2000LM015-2E8174_WDZQ8K87' (backup=no)
INFO: exclude disk 'scsi8' '/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST2000LM015-2E8174_WDZQ8JCQ' (backup=no)
INFO: include disk 'virtio5' '/dev/disk/by-id/dm-name-vgmd127-cloud' 6T
INFO: exclude disk 'virtio6' '/dev/disk/by-id/md-uuid-c4c3ba8c:a5a57c2c:68c1f07f:55c5ca6d' (backup=no)
ERROR: Backup of VM 201 failed - no storage ID specified
INFO: Failed at 2023-03-26 01:39:13
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

Note: PVE v7.4-3 is installled

Any idea how to fix that issue?

Last backup was successful created at the 23.03.2023 and the following changes were done by me:
- PBS hostname/ssl certificate got changed
- I have upgraded my PVE from version 7.3.x to the latest

Last edited:
Hi,
thank you for the report! This is an oversight for passed-through disks. A fix has been sent the the mailing list.

Reactions: Neobin
Just ran into the same issue this morning. Is there a work around until a fix is implemented.

Hi,
Just ran into the same issue this morning. Is there a work around until a fix is implemented.
a version with the fix, i.e. qemu-server=7.4-3, is already available on the no-subscription repository.

Reactions: Neobin
@fiona Thank you for the prompt response.

The issue more or less compelled me to stop procrastinating. I ended up moving the machine off the pass-through drive and onto proper PVE storage. Plus, it sounds like there are some other limitations on volumes which are not managed by PVE.

Thanks again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!