10Gb performance - SAN

maestro7879

Jul 12, 2011
We currently have a Enhance Tech es3160 SAN with 10Gb controllers.

We have connected this SAN to a VMware box and used a Windows and Linux client and achieved speeds of 600-800MB/s.

We then take that same hardware configuration and install Proxmox and can only achieve about 200MB/s.

In both scenarios we are using Atto NS14 cards with fiber.

We also have a backend setup that consists of a Windows server with a Intel X520-t2 10Gb card. The Proxmox box also has the same card and only once we were able to achieve 10Gb speeds, after a reboot of the Proxmox server that no longer was possible.

Everything points to Proxmox and some sort of configuration parameter.
Anyone else out there with 10Gb NICs working ?

Hi,
we have 10GB NICs without trouble (Solarflare and Chelsio - Solarflare are faster). I know Atto only in Mac environment.

If you say, after reboot no connection is possible. Look at following files/commands, if all right:
Code:
cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
cat /etc/network/interfaces
dmesg | grep eth
ifconfig -a
brctl show
iperf is nice to messure the speed over the nic
Code:
iperf -c 172.20.2.xx
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 172.20.2.xx, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 16.0 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  3] local 172.20.2.xx port 47698 connected with 172.20.2.xx port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  6.71 GBytes  5.77 Gbits/sec
Udo

Last edited:
I still had a connection after the reboot, I just wasn't getting the speed I should.
We have tested using iperf between the two x520's and we are getting speeds about 564Kbits/sec so we know there is a problem.
Moving both nics to Windows does solve the problem, so I believe the problem is somewhere in Proxmox.

Did you make any changes the nic in Proxmox ?

I still had a connection after the reboot, I just wasn't getting the speed I should.
We have tested using iperf between the two x520's and we are getting speeds about 564Kbits/sec so we know there is a problem.
Moving both nics to Windows does solve the problem, so I believe the problem is somewhere in Proxmox.

Did you make any changes the nic in Proxmox ?
Hi,
depends on the NIC.
With vlan-tagging and solarflare it's nessesary to use "/usr/sbin/ethtool -K eth0 tso off", otherwise we have poor speed in one direction.

Ask your Nic-Vendor for debian-support ;)

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!