10-11% I/O delay

FuriousRage

Renowned Member
Oct 17, 2014
I see on my node that it has IO delay of around 10%, is this normal?
Root is mirrored nvme. all the VM:S are raid10 7200rpm mechanical drives.

--

Also the "status" part (top) keeps having the "loading" spinner, Screenshot 2024-07-21 004402.png

Yes that's normal. HDDs are terribly slow. Like 1/500 to 1/25000 of the IOPS performance a good NVMe SSD could handle. Once you hit HDDs with random reads/writes (what you usually will do when using them as a VM storage) the IO delay will go up and your system performance down.

Reactions: IsThisThingOn
Yes that's normal. HDDs are terribly slow. Like 1/500 to 1/25000 of the IOPS performance a good NVMe SSD could handle. Once you hit HDDs with random reads/writes (what you usually will do when using them as a VM storage) the IO delay will go up and your system performance down.
Hi.
The Debian Guest with NextCloud, when i start to sync (i have like 8TB to sync) that guest becomes quire unresponsive and load average around 8.x
Guest have 12 GB ram, 4x4 cores/threads.
Guest resides on the mechanical raid10 (4 drives)

My precious server i rented at hetzner, have 2 mirrored mechanicals, also NC guest, and that one syncs alot faster.

Your guest sync 8TB of data from NC?
So your guest are using a 8TB VM disk?

I don't know your use case, but is there a reason why such a huge amount of data has to be on a zvol instead of a dataset?

Does your Hetzner server and your new server have the same HDDs and Raid controller?

Your guest sync 8TB of data from NC?
So your guest are using a 8TB VM disk?

I don't know your use case, but is there a reason why such a huge amount of data has to be on a zvol instead of a dataset?

Does your Hetzner server and your new server have the same HDDs and Raid controller?
After hours and hours of googling and testing.
What im 98% sure fixed, was to change the hardware to virtio and the disks to "Default (no cache)", now its speedy speedy.

Reactions: IsThisThingOn

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!