1.4 and iscsi - Error: error: no iscsi support - please install open-iscsi

andygee

Aug 9, 2009
After upgrade/reboot I tried setting up a iscsi target, when I click scan I get this error. Error: error: no iscsi support - please install open-iscsi

I'm trying to connect to a target running on my openfiler, is this a problem on the proxmox side or is it something that I don't have configured on openfiler to allow it to take to proxmox? I have other systems that are working over iscsi so I think it's a proxmox issue but not 100% sure.

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited:
You need to install the iSCSI initiator:

From the console:

apt-get install open-iscsi

You need to install the iSCSI initiator:

From the console:

apt-get install open-iscsi

yes, and you need to restart the pvedaemon.

/etc/init.d/pvedaemon restart

Ok I have done this and I get further now but when I choose the lun it tells me I don't have write access. I'm running openfiler with only host security. I have added the ip of the proxmox server and the lun has full access. This is a iscsi lun I just created for proxmox. It has not been formatted for use, do I need to mount it manually somehow and format it before proxmox will allow me to use it?

Thanks,

Andy

Ok I have done this and I get further now but when I choose the lun it tells me I don't have write access.

What error message do you get (exactly), and where do you get that error?. Are there some hints in the syslog?

When I hit to save the iscsi connection.

The error is:
Error: You do not have write access.

The syslog doesn't show anything pertaining to iscsi that I can tell.

Sep 11 16:05:01 prox3 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7078]: (root) CMD (/usr/share/vzctl/script$
Sep 11 16:05:01 prox3 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7080]: (root) CMD (/usr/share/vzctl/script$
Sep 11 16:05:47 prox3 pvemirror[3654]: starting cluster syncronization
Sep 11 16:05:47 prox3 pvemirror[3654]: syncing master configuration from '10.69$
Sep 11 16:05:47 prox3 pvemirror[3654]: syncing templates
Sep 11 16:05:48 prox3 pvemirror[3654]: cluster syncronization finished (0.26 se$
Sep 11 16:05:59 prox3 proxwww[6719]: update ticket

Yes you are right. I was hoping to not upgrade the master yet, but will. Thanks for the help.

When I hit to save the iscsi connection.

The error is:
Error: You do not have write access.

The syslog doesn't show anything pertaining to iscsi that I can tell.

Sep 11 16:05:01 prox3 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7078]: (root) CMD (/usr/share/vzctl/script$
Sep 11 16:05:01 prox3 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7080]: (root) CMD (/usr/share/vzctl/script$
Sep 11 16:05:47 prox3 pvemirror[3654]: starting cluster syncronization
Sep 11 16:05:47 prox3 pvemirror[3654]: syncing master configuration from '10.69$
Sep 11 16:05:47 prox3 pvemirror[3654]: syncing templates
Sep 11 16:05:48 prox3 pvemirror[3654]: cluster syncronization finished (0.26 se$
Sep 11 16:05:59 prox3 proxwww[6719]: update ticket

you are working on the node? you need to add the storage on the master (and the settings will be replicated on all nodes automatically).

you are working on the node? you need to add the storage on the master (and the settings will be replicated on all nodes automatically).

Yes I went back and did it on the master last night, everything is working great for me now.

Thanks,

Andy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!