how to add existing datastore to PBS?

onlineapps

Jan 21, 2020
hi, i do a test, install first time pbs, make OS backup to my external drive.
but, after fresh install PBS i cannot add my external drive to PBS again, how to do it correctly? without formating and other actions that can destroy my data.

how remake systemd unit "mnt-datastore" of existing partition ?
"Add as Datastore" do it, but only available with empty disk.

just add a systemd .mount unit or /etc/fstab entry for it (to make it get mounted at boot).

OK thanks for confirmation.
a new button "Add existing Datastore" in gui will be nice, with form field like :
Device : /dev/sdx or better with a scrolldown menu to list current /dev/disk/by-uuid but with a manual entry possible
Datastore id : eg: pbs-usb-hdd
"Add existing Datastore"
a popup if mount path doesn't contain .chunks
in case of emergency, this option help to relax.
keep up good job.

Last edited:
yes, very need button, to add exsting datastore, because for this, i cannot use pbs :( because i'm afraid that after reinstall pbs, i can use my precedent backups and connect my existing drive without lose my data.

Reactions: Wichets
yes, very need button, to add exsting datastore, because for this, i cannot use pbs :( because i'm afraid that after reinstall pbs, i can use my precedent backups and connect my existing drive without lose my data.
simply save the datastore config file (/etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg), and if necessary, any config file responsible for making the mount point available. when restoring on a new PBS system, put those two files back in place, reboot, and everything will be there as long as the storage (disk, NFS export, ZFS pool, ...) backing your datastore is available.

simply save the datastore config file (/etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg), and if necessary, any config file responsible for making the mount point available. when restoring on a new PBS system, put those two files back in place, reboot, and everything will be there as long as the storage (disk, NFS export, ZFS pool, ...) backing your datastore is available.
this is not production ready, because pbs can down, without option to restore. End user don't want make this manipulation with console or copy files, end user want to make all operations using web interface!.

hi again, i tried to add existing datastore, but i get error:
Code:
root@pbs1:~# proxmox-backup-manager datastore create backup /mnt/hdd
TASK ERROR: unable to create chunk store 'backup' subdir "/mnt/hdd/.chunks" - EEXIST: File exists
Error: task failed (status unable to create chunk store 'backup' subdir "/mnt/hdd/.chunks" - EEXIST: File exists)

i made this: simply save the datastore config file (/etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg):
file content from PBS backup:
datastore: backup
comment
gc-schedule daily
path /mnt/hdd
prune-schedule daily
error that i get after restore this content to PBS and reboot PBS:
1710076250940.png
but in original file, i don't have section properties!

Last edited:
this method not working

You need to mount your filesystem, here I use fstab.
This is a Linux basic, needed to use PBS or PVE, as they are packages over a Linux Debian Server.

Last edited:
please double check your datastore.cfg! either remove the comment lines, or ensure there is a space after the "comment" part.

Reactions: onlineapps
please double check your datastore.cfg! either remove the comment lines, or ensure there is a space after the "comment" part.
hi, i deleted comment line and problem was solved, thanks a lot, but it's very strange solution, anyway, thanks for help for all.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!