New version of VirtIO drivers: virtio-win-0.1.248-1

rsantosf01

Oct 8, 2023
I installed the new version of the drivers yesterday and I have encountered TWO major problems. Tested with W10 Pro LTSC

The first is that when installing it, the graphics card driver configuration is lost and then you have to install it manually. You have to go to the device manager and install the graphics card driver manually by searching for the driver in the ISO of the new drivers (that is automatic)

The second is that the QEMU Agent is not installed correctly and the SPICE agent that allows dragging and dropping content from the host to the guest is not enabled. A message appears that the Agent is not running.

Therefore, I have reverted to the previous version 0.1.240

Thanks for letting the community know about your experience!
Of course, virtio drives are not maintained by PVE, so you may want to also report it to the upstream project. Where they may be able to offer a better guidance on what to do next.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

I installed the new version of the drivers yesterday and I have encountered TWO major problems. Tested with W10 Pro LTSC

The first is that when installing it, the graphics card driver configuration is lost and then you have to install it manually. You have to go to the device manager and install the graphics card driver manually by searching for the driver in the ISO of the new drivers (that is automatic)

The second is that the QEMU Agent is not installed correctly and the SPICE agent that allows dragging and dropping content from the host to the guest is not enabled. A message appears that the Agent is not running.

Therefore, I have reverted to the previous version 0.1.240
You will need to install the "Windows SPICE Guest Tools" separately from:
https://www.spice-space.org/download.html

The trimming option on the thin provisioned drive is also gone...
I have also reverted to the previous version 0.1.240.

So what is the "correct" solution here in April 2024 if we need copy/paste functionality with noVNC + Windows guest?

Should we install separate SPICE Guest Tools? Or revert to virtio 0.1.240?

edit: For now, I settled on:
  • using virtio 0.1.240
  • run qm set <vmid> -vga std,clipboard=vnc from shell to enable clipboard button in noVNC console
It's pretty basic, but works for my simple needs, button is there now...

1712083056600.png

edit 2: for some reason this stopped working after a reboot. Now no matter what I do I can't get it to work again. The button is there but it seems non-functional.

edit 3: I figured out that restarting the Spice Agent service gets it working again.

from Admin powershell
Code:
Restart-Service spice-agent

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!