`Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to load` Haults proxmox install

greenie

Nov 14, 2021
i get:
Code:
Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to load Intel firmware file intel/ibt-1040-0041.sfi (-2)
error that stops my install.

im on proxmox 7.4.1 install using an i5-12400 and MSI PRO B760M-A with 128gb ddr4 ram.

rest of the error reads;

Code:
Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to load Intel firmware file intel/ibt-1040-0041.sfi (-2)"
[ 4.980762] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to read MSFT supported features (-56)
[ 5.113292] iwlwifi 000:00:14.3: no suitable firmware found!
[ 5.113303] iwlwifi 000:00:14.3: minimum version required: iwlwifi-so-a0-gf-a0-39
[ 5.113313] iwlwifi 000:00:14.3: maximum version supported: iwlwifi-so-a0-gf-a0-66
[ 5.113322] iwlwifi 000:00:14.3: check git://git.kernal.org/pub/scm/linux/kernal/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

any ideas?

this person has a similar issue but is told that that error is a red herring - although its stopping my install fully.
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/c...run-filed-to-load-intel-firmware-file.104643/

i get:
Code:
Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to load Intel firmware file intel/ibt-1040-0041.sfi (-2)
error that stops my install.

im on proxmox 7.4.1 install using an i5-12400 and MSI PRO B760M-A with 128gb ddr4 ram.

rest of the error reads;

Code:
Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to load Intel firmware file intel/ibt-1040-0041.sfi (-2)"
[ 4.980762] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to read MSFT supported features (-56)
[ 5.113292] iwlwifi 000:00:14.3: no suitable firmware found!
[ 5.113303] iwlwifi 000:00:14.3: minimum version required: iwlwifi-so-a0-gf-a0-39
[ 5.113313] iwlwifi 000:00:14.3: maximum version supported: iwlwifi-so-a0-gf-a0-66
[ 5.113322] iwlwifi 000:00:14.3: check git://git.kernal.org/pub/scm/linux/kernal/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

any ideas?

this person has a similar issue but is told that that error is a red herring - although its stopping my install fully.
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/c...run-filed-to-load-intel-firmware-file.104643/
@greenie I am having the same problem, did you get any resolution?

@greenie I am having the same problem, did you get any resolution?
Yes I did - i had forgot i made this due to no response.

I learnt quite a lot trouble shooting this. The error indicates a missing driver which is caused by the kernel version for proxmox 7.4.1 which is older and doesnt have the proper requirements for newer hardware. I'm using a 12th gen I think.

problem solved by using version 8+ proxmox or by making sure you have at least 6.2+ kernel on whatever version you want to install.

From testing there is no way to make an older version 7.4.1 compatible with newer hardware unless you managed to install proxmox on different hardware then manually upgrade the kernel (which is jank) and then upgrade the hardware keeping your now upgraded os (which you should not do - I've read you need to do a fresh install with hardware generations and different motherboards)

some advice down the line, update to ubuntu 22.4 and kernel 6.2+ on all vms you want to do hardware passthrough on, the kernel issues carry over into your vms

Yes I did - i had forgot i made this due to no response.

I learnt quite a lot trouble shooting this. The error indicates a missing driver which is caused by the kernel version for proxmox 7.4.1 which is older and doesnt have the proper requirements for newer hardware. I'm using a 12th gen I think.

problem solved by using version 8+ proxmox or by making sure you have at least 6.2+ kernel on whatever version you want to install.

From testing there is no way to make an older version 7.4.1 compatible with newer hardware unless you managed to install proxmox on different hardware then manually upgrade the kernel (which is jank) and then upgrade the hardware keeping your now upgraded os (which you should not do - I've read you need to do a fresh install with hardware generations and different motherboards)

some advice down the line, update to ubuntu 22.4 and kernel 6.2+ on all vms you want to do hardware passthrough on, the kernel issues carry over into your vms
@greenie Thank you for replying! Yes I am using new hardware. When attempting to install 8.1 proxmox an error goes by about the Bluetooth but the process continues only to get a different error - also posted by others with no resolution.

When you say " problem solved by using version 8+ proxmox or by making sure you have at least 6.2+ kernel on whatever version you want to install." I don't really understand, as my understanding is proxmox is install on bare metal. How can I have at least 6.2 kernel? Or are you talking about installing proxmox on top of the an already installed operating system just to get around this issue?

@greenie Thank you for replying! Yes I am using new hardware. When attempting to install 8.1 proxmox an error goes by about the Bluetooth but the process continues only to get a different error - also posted by others with no resolution.

When you say " problem solved by using version 8+ proxmox or by making sure you have at least 6.2+ kernel on whatever version you want to install." I don't really understand, as my understanding is proxmox is install on bare metal. How can I have at least 6.2 kernel? Or are you talking about installing proxmox on top of the an already installed operating system just to get around this issue?
I get this error with 8.1
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...ils-with-unsquashfs-error.137526/#post-631110

So there are a few versions of proxmox after 7.4.1 and each of them are shipped with a different kernel. Essentially, try the very newest version of proxmox as that will come with the highest kernel possible and give you the highest chance to avoid the initial error.

With regards to mentioning specific kernels I solely mean pick a version of proxmox that has the highest kernel you can get. Proxmox uses (someone correct me If I'm wrong) linux language and base so the kernel each version comes with can reflect ubuntu versions eg 20.4 ubuntu comes with 5.5 kernel but 22.4 comes with 6.1 or upgradeable to 6.2 and version 23.4 comes with 6.5.

(Could be incorrect information here about specific version numbers I'm writing this off the top of my head)

So there are a few versions of proxmox after 7.4.1 and each of them are shipped with a different kernel. Essentially, try the very newest version of proxmox as that will come with the highest kernel possible and give you the highest chance to avoid the initial error.

With regards to mentioning specific kernels I solely mean pick a version of proxmox that has the highest kernel you can get. Proxmox uses (someone correct me If I'm wrong) linux language and base so the kernel each version comes with can reflect ubuntu versions eg 20.4 ubuntu comes with 5.5 kernel but 22.4 comes with 6.1 or upgradeable to 6.2 and version 23.4 comes with 6.5.

(Could be incorrect information here about specific version numbers I'm writing this off the top of my head)
@greenie Thanks for the reply. Thanks for the clarification, what you are saying makes sense. It makes sense you can't pick and choose the underlying versions of the operating system and kernel a particular version of proxmox is running. I may have to just wait until proxmox catches up with my hardware.

@greenie Thanks for the reply. Thanks for the clarification, what you are saying makes sense. It makes sense you can't pick and choose the underlying versions of the operating system and kernel a particular version of proxmox is running. I may have to just wait until proxmox catches up with my hardware.
Maybe try the jank route. Install 8.1 or what ever is the current highest proxmox on another device then see if it will boot using this hardware. I dont think your hardware judging from the post you linked is all that advanced plus some in that thread had older hardware. I think a solution has just not been presented yet. Which versions of proxmox have you tried? My advice would be to try as many as possible and test new usb and iso files. You could have ended up with a busted set of both who knows. Work through each possible option. There is a proxmox unofficial discord too which has loads of members. You need to yell quite loud and often to push past the noobs asking for help on where the gui is

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!