Proxmox on SuperMicro / AMD EPYC 7501

DynFi User

Renowned Member
Apr 18, 2016
dynfi.com
Hello,

I am about to spend a quite important amount of money on a new Proxmox server which will be mainly used for big time compilation and other KVM / LXC hosting.

Hardware is SuperMicro AS-1113S-WN10RT + AMD 7501 w32 cores
https://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/system/1U/1113/AS-1113S-WN10RT.cfm

Target disks are based on Intel DC P4510
Processor is AMD 7501 EPYC

I wanted to know if there are any known problem with such configuration (specially the processor) ?

Last but not least our other servers are based on Intel processor (Xeon, Atom).
We had no problem doing live migration with our KVM servers, is there a chance that we might face some live migration problems if we move device from an Intel to an AMD based processor ?

My last forum reading were saying "maybe, not really sure about this"… Which is not so great ;-)

If you have any advice regarding optimized setup… please let me know.
We will use ZFS based system with M.2 NVMe as system storage and NVMe for storage…

I wanted to know if there are any known problem with such configuration (specially the processor) ?
The only known problem is that you have to disable msr in the KVM module if you like to install windows10 or server2016.

We had no problem doing live migration with our KVM servers, is there a chance that we might face some live migration problems if we move device from an Intel to an AMD based processor ?
Intel <-> AMD life migration is not possible.

We will use ZFS based system with M.2 NVMe as system storage and NVMe for storage…
This will not work because the PVE GRUB does not support UEFI yet and M2PCIe boot needs UEFI.

Booting from a single NVMe works, but not with ZFS. Just use ext4 or xfs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!