Kernel panic /init

pq_rar

Aug 13, 2009
Hi everybody,
this is my first post and I hope I am asking the right question in the right place. I was playing with ESX and other linux based VM and now i would like to try Proxmox as I was not happy with the other ones.
Everything went fine. 2 solid state RAID 1(supermicro motherboard raid controller) for the OS(Ubuntu)+ 15 hdds in RAID 6(3ware controller) for data(I still have data from using the old Windows 2003 OS).
At the Installation for Ubuntu I was not able to see only one hdd(as I should see in RAID 1) so I install it on one hdd from the raid 1(hdds configured in RAID 1). Boot ok, install Proxmox ok, boot with Proxmox kernel-NOT GOOD.

/init: line 195: syntax error: 0xUUID=378e95dbla bla
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot for yourt patience.
Emil

Last edited:
Hi everybody,
this is my first post and I hope I am asking the right question in the right place. I was playing with ESX and other linux based VM and now i would like to try Proxmox as I was not happy with the other ones.
Everything went fine. 2 solid state RAID 1(supermicro motherboard raid controller) for the OS(Ubuntu)+ 15 hdds in RAID 6(3ware controller) for data(I still have data from using the old Windows 2003 OS).
At the Installation for Ubuntu I was not able to see only one hdd(as I should see in RAID 1) so I install it on one hdd from the raid 1(hdds configured in RAID 1). Boot ok, install Proxmox ok, boot with Proxmox kernel-NOT GOOD.

/init: line 195: syntax error: 0xUUID=378e95dbla bla

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot for yourt patience.
Emil

sorry, I got confused. you are talking about ubuntu and windows.

pls describe in detail what hardware do you have (especially raid controller and setup) and what you want to achieve. Proxmox VE destroys all data therefore you need 'bare-metal'.

and what problem do you got finally?

I am talking about Ubuntu 9.04 desktop edition.
I have two hdds SSD Samsung 80Gb in RAID 1 with adaptec controller from the motherboard(SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DAL-E-O Dual LGA 771)
I installed Proxmox and under grub is listed like Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.24-7-pve
If I understand right Proxmox installation will delete data only from the drive where is installed. So it's not affecting data from the other controller with many disks(3ware).
I would like to have a virtualized Windows 2003 server and a linux(probably Ubuntu again) with Oracle on it. Both shoud be able to share the RAID 6(13Tb)
Thanks,
Emil

I did a reinstall of Ubuntu and will need a step by step instructions how to install Proxmox on Ubuntu.
I found something similar:
http://samiux.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/howto-install-proxmox-ve-1-3-on-debian-5-01-lenny-amd64/

...but it failed for me at step 3 that's why I did a reinstall. Proc. is intel.
Any help...any ideas?
Thanks,
Emil

The supported way is doing a bare-metal install. An optional way is this.

The blog link is more or less just a copy of our howto.

So install your system on the first raid. if everything works, mount the second raid (big one) to /var/lib/vz.

Again: what raid system do you have on raid1 - pls provide a link to technical description.

You know what? I feel that I am not alone. Thanks a lot for your help.
Back to the job,
After sudo su and
root@virt13:/home/emil# wget -O- "http://download.proxmox.com/debian/key.asc" | apt-key add -
--2009-08-14 10:01:54-- http://download.proxmox.com/debian/key.asc
Resolving download.proxmox.com... 92.51.129.73
Connecting to download.proxmox.com|92.51.129.73|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1702 (1.7K) [text/plain]
Saving to: `STDOUT'

100%[======================================>] 1,702 --.-K/s in 0.1s

2009-08-14 10:01:54 (14.6 KB/s) - `-' saved [1702/1702]

OK

I got in updates:
W: GPG error: http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 9AA38DCD55BE302B
W: GPG error: http://ftp.debian.org lenny Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 9AA38DCD55BE302B NO_PUBKEY 4D270D06F42584E6
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

I google for a solution and I did this:
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com KEY
where KEY in my case are 9AA38DCD55BE302B and 4D270D06F42584E6

After this steps, "apt-get update" looks good.
Now I am going to install the kernel and I will keep you updated if something goes bad. Cross fingers...

Thanks,
Emil

Well...you guess....
Grub error: error 11 unrecognized device string
changed from "root ce164832...9870" to "root (hd0,0)".
Boot ok but the same error from the beginning:

/init: line 195: syntax error: 0xUUID=ce164832...9870

Notice that the "ce164832...9870" is the same.
I guess I should change something at line 195...from ce164832...9870 to (hd0,0) but I have no idea where is that file(/init line 195???).

Now I can boot in Ubuntu but not Proxmox(as I was not able to boot in Ubuntu too) changing "ce164832...9870" to (hd0,0) in grub for Ubuntu kernel.
Any help?
Thanks,
Emil

Last edited:
Well...you guess....
Grub error: error 11 unrecognized device string
changed from "root ce164832...9870" to "root (hd0,0)".
Boot ok but the same error from the beginning:

/init: line 195: syntax error: 0xUUID=ce164832...9870

Notice that the "ce164832...9870" is the same.
I guess I should change something at line 195...from ce164832...9870 to (hd0,0) but I have no idea where is that file(/init line 195???).

Now I can boot in Ubuntu but not Proxmox(as I was not able to boot in Ubuntu too) changing "ce164832...9870" to (hd0,0) in grub for Ubuntu kernel.
Any help?
Thanks,
Emil

I do not really get what you are doing with Ubuntu? please follow the guides and if you fail - tell on which stage.

I am installing Proxmox on top of Ubuntu as I saw that this is possible on top of Debian...looks like I am wrong.
Debian is "the rock upon which Ubuntu is built"

Ok,
Maybe this thread should end here as now I am installing Debian.
I hope will be no problems.
Thanks Tom!

Last edited:
I'm back. I think I should continue it as is kind of the same error. If not please move it in different thread.
Hardware: two hdds SSD Samsung 80Gb in RAID 1 with adaptec controller from the motherboard(SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DAL-E-O Dual LGA 771)

-installed Devian 64 bits on hardware RAID 1(mirror) successfully
-installed Proxmox
-boot Proxmox kernel:
mount: mounting /dev/mapper/ddf1_mirror1 on /mnt failed: No such file or directory
switch_root: bad newroot /mnt

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Emil

I'm back. I think I should continue it as is kind of the same error. If not please move it in different thread.
Hardware: two hdds SSD Samsung 80Gb in RAID 1 with adaptec controller from the motherboard(SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DAL-E-O Dual LGA 771)

-installed Devian 64 bits on hardware RAID 1(mirror) successfully
-installed Proxmox
-boot Proxmox kernel:
mount: mounting /dev/mapper/ddf1_mirror1 on /mnt failed: No such file or directory
switch_root: bad newroot /mnt

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Emil

you cannot use such a fake raid controller on Proxmox VE, you need a real hardware raid controller. disable this softraid solution in the mainboard bios and use single disk for installation (or better, go for hardware raid).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!