very slow IO, almost hangs time to time

1) Using ext3 on SSD disks is very bad. Tear and wear will kill your disks quickly. Use ext4 instead. Remember mount options: relatime, barrier=0
2) Your motherboard is equipped with:
Chipset
  • Intel® C602 Chipset

Aka: fake raid. You should disable the chipsets raid feature in the BIOS and go for plain AHCI.

The above means that you will have to reinstall your proxmox server.

See boot option at install time here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Debugging_Installation#Boot_options

1) Using ext3 on SSD disks is very bad. Tear and wear will kill your disks quickly. Use ext4 instead. Remember mount options: relatime, barrier=0
2) Your motherboard is equipped with:
Chipset
  • Intel® C602 Chipset

Aka: fake raid. You should disable the chipsets raid feature in the BIOS and go for plain AHCI.

The above means that you will have to reinstall your proxmox server.

See boot option at install time here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Debugging_Installation#Boot_options

So let me try clarify this, I really appreciate the help btw.

1) Proxmox was installed on the WD3TB (non-ssd) through latest ISO installer. Proxmox by default installs using ext3? Other VMs I created are using ext4.
2) All the drives are configured as AHCI. No RAID was used.

Now if all comes to worst and that I need to re-install proxmox, is it possible for me to keep the VMs residing in the other drives intact as I re-install proxmox on the WD3TB #1 drive?

1) If you don't use SSD for proxmox stick with the default (ext3).
2) You are certain that the RAID functionality is disabled in the BIOS?

If you use proxmox backup feature and save the backups a safe place you can always reinstall the VM's from your backup to any proxmox >= 3.1.

BTW. What model is your WD3TB? If it is WD Green models you ask for trouble since they are slow beyond compare and should only be used for backups or anything else which does not require performance like media storage etc.

1) If you don't use SSD for proxmox stick with the default (ext3).
2) You are certain that the RAID functionality is disabled in the BIOS?

If you use proxmox backup feature and save the backups a safe place you can always reinstall the VM's from your backup to any proxmox >= 3.1.

BTW. What model is your WD3TB? If it is WD Green models you ask for trouble since they are slow beyond compare and should only be used for backups or anything else which does not require performance like media storage etc.

Unfortunately I can't seem to do any on proxmox right now. I tried creating new vm, editing note, it just gets connection timeout. I can't create backup right now it seems.

As for hard drives, they were WD RED NAS.

I think what I'll do is just re-install the entire server. Fortunately I had backups that was made earlier I can just use on another server.

as spirit mentioned above, you should unmount and detete the snapshot /dev/mapper/intel480gb-vzsnap--server1--0

I assume vzdump is not running, so this is a leftover?

Hi Dietmar, thank you for your reply. I did unmount it, but not sure how to delete it.
Vzdump is not running and it looks like a leftover.

lvremove /dev/mapper/intel480gb-vzsnap--server1--0

(lvm snasphots have a big impact on performance, and should be removed just after the backup)

Reactions: ebiss

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!