Beta packages for Proxmox VE 3.2 - pvetest

martin

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 28, 2005
We uploaded a lot of packages for beta testing, containing new features, small improvements and countless bug fixes.

Here are the highlights

• Proxmox VE Ceph Server
  • Spiceterm: SPICE as full replacement for Java based console (VM, shell and OpenVZ console). For now, Java console is still the default
  • QEMU 1.7, including major update of the VM backup code
  • Open vSwitch
  • New 3.10 Kernel (based on RHEL7, for now without OpenVZ support)
  • Latest 2.6.32 kernel, updated drivers
A big Thank-you to our active community for all feedback, testing, bug reporting and patch submissions. For complete release notes see the change logs of each package.

Package repositories
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories

Everybody is encouraged to test and give feedback!

Martin Maurer
Proxmox VE project leader

its already in the gui (Network/Create), just try it on a test box. you can also test this in a VM.

• New 3.10 Kernel (based on RHEL7, for now without OpenVZ support)
Does it mean that there is no more OpenVZ Support with V 3.2 and further versions ?

While I am not a developer and cant speak for proxmox to answer your question directly, I will say that I just took a look and havent found anything that would indicate active development of RHEL7 patches quite yet. That doesnt mean theres no development going on, just means its very well hidden ;)

Last edited:
I think Redhat 7 is going to come to a theater near you very soon! I have just received an invite to a webinar with the title: "Red Hat Developer Toolset 2.1 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7".

This surely means patches for OpenVZ for 3.10 kernel should be circulating in beta and RC any time soon.

@marco
what i does not understand with "for now" and further versions: does proxmox complete drop OpenVZ support ? Or is it just a beta thing? Otherwise i need to stay with an old kernel and with an old proxmox version, too.

Hope not ;)

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

@marco
what i does not understand with "for now" and further versions: does proxmox complete drop OpenVZ support ? Or is it just a beta thing? Otherwise i need to stay with an old kernel and with an old proxmox version, too.

Hope not ;)

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

"for now" means that currently the 3.10 does not support OpenVZ and it also means that this could change in future.

2.6.32 is the current default kernel for Proxmox VE and also the default for the upcoming 3.2.

its already in the gui (Network/Create), just try it on a test box. you can also test this in a VM.

Hi Tom,

I upgraded my test pve vm to pvetest packages today.
I see ceph server tab, new kernels, everything but I can't find anything different in network/create, maybe its expected,
update: now I see in node>network tab, but what is the current benefit of open vswitch?
and, what is the purpose of OVS intport? (new to ovs concepts)

also: spiceterm works great, but I have a square solid cursor, would it be possible to have the usual "underscore" cursor?

finally: what/how can I test anything to help you to sort out any troubles?

Marco

Last edited:
looks like this ovs thing is basically just a wrapper for iptables/brutils/wondershaper. Or did I miss anything?

update: now I see in node>network tab, but what is the current benefit of open vswitch?
and, what is the purpose of OVS intport? (new to ovs concepts)

support for sflow, and slightly better performance when there is high load.
But I still prefer the standard linux network stack.

also: spiceterm works great, but I have a square solid cursor, would it be possible to have the usual "underscore" cursor?

never saw that.

finally: what/how can I test anything to help you to sort out any troubles?

Just test if your normal workflow works as expected.

yes, its a known issue in spiceterm for openvz and the shell (and could be improved).

As I remember correctly RHEL7 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7) is still in testing phase and not stable yet. The work for OpenVZ support on the Linux 3.10 kernel (which will be the default on RHEL7) have already began some months ago. The porting is nearly finished, but the most time needs the stabilization. So it may take some months till a stable version will be released. (Source Twitter)

Hi guys,

could some of you tell me how to revert to the stable packages if i did an dist-upgrade to pvetest?

Thank you.

- you need to remove the pvetest repo
- download each *.deb package manually from the stable repo
- and install it manually with dpkg -i ...

thanks Tom...but do you think it takes long time before 3.2 release?

the 3.2 will be released as soon as all release critical bugs are fixed. and no, I do not know how many bugs will appear and how long it does take to get them fixed.

Been trying the test version out for the last week and must say it's coming on great. Just two things (one possible bug, and one question)

1. When creating CEPH pools if you do not copy the keys on the command line it just hangs in the web interface when accessing the pool but eventually times out after a few minutes. However during this time the web interface becomes unresponsive until the time-out happens. Should maybe just prevent mounting the CEPH pool without a key or auto copy the key?

2. Will your implementation of Open vSwitch have some sort of IP filtering with it or will it be similar to your Linux bridge and rely on hardware firewall to protect VM's from each other? At the moment your current documentation states the use of a hardware firewall is recommended but this is only protecting the VM's from things outside the host and not protecting VM's from other VM's even on the same host machine.

Thanks

Pieter

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!