pve-headers install problem

gkovacs

Renowned Member
Dec 22, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
I'm trying to set up a test server to test and benchmark flashcache based on the instructions found here:
http://florianjensen.com/2013/01/02/adding-flashcache-to-proxmox-and-lvm/

I have installed Proxmox 3.1, and updated all packages to latest.

Unfortunately, I can't install the pve-headers package. Anyone got the faintest idea why this is happening?

Code:
root@proxmox:~# uname -a
Linux proxmox 2.6.32-23-pve #1 SMP Tue Aug 6 07:04:06 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

root@proxmox:~# apt-get install pve-headers-2.6.32-23-pve
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package pve-headers-2.6.32-23-pve
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'pve-headers-2.6.32-23-pve'

Last edited:
what does "apt-cache search pve-headers" give you?

As I am not on PVE-3.1, I can't check, sorry

2.6.32-23 is outdated, also the pve repo is not used anymore.

that's the reason why this repo is not in a clean install - its expected.

2.6.32-23 is outdated, also the pve repo is not used anymore.

that's the reason why this repo is not in a clean install - its expected.

Well, I did not check versions but the OP stated that this was a fresh and clean install of PVE3.1 and the reported kernel version in use was reported as this one.

However, if the repo is left out of the list intentionally...What procedure to get access to the actual kernel headers is the right one on a clean install then?

However, if the repo is left out of the list intentionally...What procedure to get access to the actual kernel headers is the right one on a clean install then?

..answering my own post..

- If not on a subsription, disable enterprise repos and enable no-subscription repos, as described in the wiki -> http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories#Proxmox_VE_No-Subscription_Repository
then do
Code:
# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade (this should get you to the latest PVE kernel)
# apt-cache search pve-headers

...will show the kernels headers available.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!