Tape Drive SCSI pass-through

hpk

Apr 3, 2012
Hello i need to get a Tape Device LTO-3 working.

I try SCSI pass-through as described here http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Tape_Drives.

But i get allways the Error Message "kvm: -drive file=/dev/sg4,if=none,id=drive-scsi4,aio=native,cache=none: could not open disk image /dev/sg4: Invalid argument"!

Is it not possible to pass-through the Tape device??

I was trying to use Proxmox (Performance ist great) against ESXi, but with no
SCSI pass-through this is useless.

Please help me to stay with Proxmox!!

Thanks

try cache=writethrough instead of cache=none.

try cache=writethrough instead of cache=none.

Hello i have tried, but now i have this Error message:

"kvm: -device scsi-block,bus=scsihw0.0,scsi-id=4,drive=drive-scsi4,id=scsi4: scsi-block: INQUIRY failed
kvm: -device scsi-block,bus=scsihw0.0,scsi-id=4,drive=drive-scsi4,id=scsi4: Device 'scsi-block' could not be initialized"

Thanks

not really. I recommend you use a backup software supporting remote tape device agent, this is the only reliable way (AFAIK).

have you checked that the tape is really /dev/sg4? or permission issues?
does the tape device work with any cli tool on proxmox host as /dev/sg4?

Marco

For anyone who cares about this, I eventually had to run up a host with centos 5.6, a version of ietd that supported rawio patch (iscsitarget-0.4.17) . Something like this on a fresh minimal centos 5.6 machine;yum install gcc kernel-devel kernel-headers openssl-devel lsscsidownload iscsitarget-0.4.17, extractrun this patch in kernel dir (you'll need to download it)patch -p1 < iscsitarget-0.4.17.rawio.patchmakemake installvim /etc/iet/ietd.confTarget iqn.2013-09.localdomain.localhost:tape Lun 0 H=2,C=0,I=5,L=0,Type=rawio (use settings from lsscsi) Type 1 InitialR2T No ImmediateData Yes xMaxRecvDataSegmentLength 262144add to modules on bootecho modprobe iscsi_trgt >> /etc/rc.moduleschmod +x /etc/rc.modulesput in /etc/rc.d/rc.local;nohup /usr/sbin/ietd -c /etc/iet/ietd.conf -d 2 -f &As for some reason it would only pick up the device properly if running on console... whatever, it works now.

I just test with tgt - seem to have better support for passthrough - will post results later.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!