new virtio 0.1-52 Windows drivers available

Hello,

got the same Problem on an win 2003 32 Bit Server yesterday. The Problem seemed to be the virtio-stor Driver.
I could update an use the other ones.
And the Server were still running with ide as HDD Storage.
After adding an second HDD with virtio and try to install the Drivers there were the BlueScreen.

And the Server didn't came up anymore.
After removing the Viostor Driver Entrys and setting evereything in proxmox back the Server came up again, no Backup required.

Maybe this help. On other Servers the Version works like charme.

So I would try there an older Version.

Best regards.

Nico

yes, win2003 does work with 0.1-52 virtio stor drivers. go for 0.1-49.

Hello,

got the same Problem on an win 2003 32 Bit Server yesterday. The Problem seemed to be the virtio-stor Driver.
I could update an use the other ones.
And the Server were still running with ide as HDD Storage.
After adding an second HDD with virtio and try to install the Drivers there were the BlueScreen.

And the Server didn't came up anymore.
After removing the Viostor Driver Entrys and setting evereything in proxmox back the Server came up again, no Backup required.

Maybe this help. On other Servers the Version works like charme.

So I would try there an older Version.

Best regards.

Nico

Hi Nico, could you tell me how you removed the Driver Entrys though I hade the same problem and had to restore my backup yesterday.
THX
Mac

i use 1-49 now for the win2003 guest, but 1-49 seems to have problems with Windows XP SP3!
viostor doesn't seem to be usable for XP in that version. no bluescreens this time, but errors while installation of the virtual harddisk.
Anyone with the same experience?

Sascha

Hi Nico, could you tell me how you removed the Driver Entrys though I hade the same problem and had to restore my backup yesterday.
THX
Mac

I know this reply's way late, but here's how I recovered from this problem (or one with identical symptoms, at the least):

1. Shut down the guest.
2. Mounted the partition that contains viostor.sys, which is the second partition in a disk image stored in an LVM2 VM, by getting the partition offset from fdisk, multiplying that by 512 (the sector size) to yield the start offset of 105906176, then doing: mkdir win2k8 ; sudo mount -t ntfs -o loop,offset=105906176 /dev/vgdata/win2k8 win2k8
3. Rename Windows/System32/drivers/viostor.sys to System32/drivers/disabled.viostor.sys.disabled;
4. Similarly renamed both Windows/DriverStore/FileRepository/viostor.inf_amd64_neutral_b5a4b523b42ac3b3/viostor.sys and Windows/DriverStore/FileRepository/viostor.inf_amd64_neutral_e322cb56cfbcc209/viostor.sys to disabled.viostor.sys.disabled as in step 3 (but left them in those same directories);
5. But I left Windows/LastGood/system32/DRIVERS/viostor.sys alone, because I thought Windows might actually have got it right for once, and 'LastGood' might really be the last known good version.
6. Change all storage drivers to IDE;
7. Boot up guest again and check that everything's working, which it was. Recovery seemingly complete. 8. Then I shut down the guest again, changed a non-boot, non-system volume to use virtio once more, booted it back up, used "Device Manager" to forcibly install version viostor.sys 0.1-49 from the mounted ISO. That worked.

9. Then changed the boot/system volume(s) to use virtio again and rebooted.

As far as I can tell, everything is happily using virtio storage again now.

- - - Updated - - -

so maybe this means win2003 to win2008r1 have this issue, while Win2008R2 doesn't.
I would defo go for a good backup though anyways! :-D

Just to confirm that Win2k8R2 also seems to 'have this issue' (though I personally suspect the issue is with the viostor.sys drivers rather than with Windows itself).

We're also experiencing this, with a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 guest and viostor.sys from virtio-win-0.1-52.iso.
None of the Windows recovery options were any help - constant BSODs. Using the recovery options to manually load viostor.sys from virtio-win-0.1-49.iso resulted in an instant BSOD at driver load (not even after a reboot). However I am not sure that Windows was using version 0.1-49 as I told it to - it would be just like Windows to disregard the sysadmin's orders and use some saved-away copy of 0.1-52. I don't know how to tell what it's doing.
Even after changing all storage from virtio to IDE, the guest still BSOD'd at boot.

I just posted recovery procedure.

No problem here with Virtio 0.1-52 (network, hard disk, balloon), Proxmox 2.3 and Windows 7 x64 up-to-dated.

Code:
pve-manager: 2.3-13 (pve-manager/2.3/7946f1f1)
running kernel: 2.6.32-14-pve
pve-kernel-2.6.32-14-pve: 2.6.32-74
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.4-4
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.93-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.9-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-36
qemu-server: 2.3-18
pve-firmware: 1.0-21
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-49
libpve-access-control: 1.0-26
libpve-storage-perl: 2.3-6
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 4.0-1pve2
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-1

No problem here with Virtio 0.1-52 (network, hard disk, balloon), Proxmox 2.3 and Windows 7 x64 up-to-dated.

I just tried the latest drivers Virtio 0.1-65 with a WinXP SP3 Machine and get the same BSOD!
Just wanted to inform everybody...
Problem still persists on WinXP Style OS, presumably with Win2003 too.
What exactly is the problem? Anyone has any idea?

Sascha

I might have read this all wrong as I was busy watching BsdNow podcast but if your looking for the older Virtio drivers you can use the "Archive" directory from the fedora ftp server
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/

I just downloaded all of them back to 1.3 to try on some win2012 servers that boot fine and install but on reboot hangs in the boot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!