2nd Backup Path

adamb

Famous Member
Mar 1, 2012
Looking to implement a 2nd backup path over iscsi. Any suggestions on the best way to set this up? I would prefer to let proxmox handle it, but if need be I can write a quick script to move the backed up images once a week. I appreciate the input!

backup storage needs a file system (most use NFS). iscsi gives you just a block device, which cannot be used to store backup files.

you can create multiple storage and multiple schedules.

backup storage needs a file system (most use NFS). iscsi gives you just a block device, which cannot be used to store backup files.

you can create multiple storage and multiple schedules.

Cool, got the nfs share up and in action. Worked out great, very easy.

Only downside, I don't want to do two backups on each VM. Would be great if I could simple have the images moved once the backup completes on the local storage. Any ideas for that one, worse comes to worst I will script it up.

Cool, got the nfs share up and in action. Worked out great, very easy.

Only downside, I don't want to do two backups on each VM. Would be great if I could simple have the images moved once the backup completes on the local storage. Any ideas for that one, worse comes to worst I will script it up.

We just use a script - rsync checks for the new backup file and if it is the same size OR larger from the previous it copies it over.
If it is smaller it copies it but adds to the file name so we know its smaller.

We used to use multiple storage devices - but found no reason to hammer on the Disk I/O when we can allow the pull to come from a backup device instead.
Nicer to the CPU and the Disk on the running masters

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!