VM cannot boot after installation on LVM

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
Hello Proxmox Folks!
My very first post. First of all i just want to thank all the Proxmox developer for this wonderful piece of hypervisor platform. Stable, feature rich and FREE. I am still running it on Test environment. Everything working so far except one issue.

I have created an iSCSI target at FreeNAS and used the Proxmox Web Admin Interface to create LVM group. I used all those LVM commands such as PVS, LVDISPLAY, VGSCAN etc to make sure all look right. I even created a VM of CentOS and it saw the LV i created and installed the CentOS linux on it. No issue. But.......... after installation when it restarted the VM, it does not see the LV any more and gives no hard drive found to boot message. But if i boot with CentOS Installer ISO again and go through installation process it sees the LV. I followed the procedure described on Proxmox Wiki Storage Model to create iSCSI target, LVM Groups.
Please Help!

Hello Proxmox Folks!
My very first post. First of all i just want to thank all the Proxmox developer for this wonderful piece of hypervisor platform. Stable, feature rich and FREE. I am still running it on Test environment. Everything working so far except one issue.

I have created an iSCSI target at FreeNAS and used the Proxmox Web Admin Interface to create LVM group. I used all those LVM commands such as PVS, LVDISPLAY, VGSCAN etc to make sure all look right. I even created a VM of CentOS and it saw the LV i created and installed the CentOS linux on it. No issue. But.......... after installation when it restarted the VM, it does not see the LV any more and gives no hard drive found to boot message. But if i boot with CentOS Installer ISO again and go through installation process it sees the LV. I followed the procedure described on Proxmox Wiki Storage Model to create iSCSI target, LVM Groups.
Please Help!
Hi,
how big is your sector-size on your lvm-storage?
With 4k blocks there are an issue - then you must select cache write through.

Look with "fdisk -l" on the pve host.

Udo

Re: VM cannot boot after installation on LVM [SOLVED]

Hi,
how big is your sector-size on your lvm-storage?
With 4k blocks there are an issue - then you must select cache write through.

Look with "fdisk -l" on the pve host.

Udo

That was it UDO!!!! By default FreeNAS assigns 512 bytes for sector size. But i manually changed it to 1024 bytes. As soon as i recreated another iSCSI target wth 512 bytes sector, all 10 of my test vm started humming just fine!!
Thanks UDO!! You have saved days of frustration.. :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!