Can't add new VM due to cluster error

madmatrix

Sep 20, 2011
Hi All,

I've been frustrated with the cluster issue for two months. It started from the day the house lost power. After that, the two nodes doesn't know each other. It was working perfectly in one gui before. I was able to add VM to any of them. After that day, the 2nd node shows red in data center GUI. I can't add new VM to node 1 and node 2. It always gives me error:
TASK ERROR: cluster not ready - no quorum?

I searched the forum, some people have similar problem but it appears nobody has good solution for this. I'm trying my luck here to see if anyone can help. Here is my nodes information:

Node 1 (was master before):
root@vsh1:~# pveversion
pve-manager/2.1/be112d89

root@vsh1:~# uname -a
Linux vsh1 2.6.32-13-pve #1 SMP Mon Jul 9 08:39:20 CEST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linuxroot@vsh1:~# pvecm nodes
cman_tool: Cannot open connection to cman, is it running ?

If you need more information, please let me know. Currently Node 1 has 5 VMs running. Node 2 doesn't have anything. I can reinstall Node 2 if needed.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Lou

I tried "service cman start" but nothing happens. No error or successful message returned.

root@vsh2:~# service cman start
root@vsh2:~#

That's strange. Please help.

Lou
Hi,
a 2-node cluster perhaps are not the best idea?!

You can try following:
define the quorum on one node (and not at both) to 1 with
Code:
pvecm expected 1
If you then restart cman does it work on this node?
If you have quorum, /etc/pve isn't read-only. After that restart node 2 and look what happens.

Udo

Hi,
a 2-node cluster perhaps are not the best idea?!

You can try following:
define the quorum on one node (and not at both) to 1 with
Code:
pvecm expected 1
If you then restart cman does it work on this node?
If you have quorum, /etc/pve isn't read-only. After that restart node 2 and look what happens.

Udo

Thanks a lot Udo. I tried pvecm expected 1 in my empty node 2. It says

root@vsh2:~# pvecm expected 1
pve configuration filesystem not mounted

So I think I need reinstall pve. Could you or anyone tell me how to reinstall pve quickly? I remember I saw that in the wiki but just couldn't find it now. Please share the link. Thanks a lot. Really appreciated your help.

Lou

Thanks Dietmar. I tried this command and then tried run pvecm expected 1 but it still gives me error "cman_tool: Cannot open connection to cman, is it running ?". How can I just quickly reinstall the pve?

Thanks.

Lou

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!